Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Before installing a new brake cable on my rear, I took it off to give a good clean - and was wondering whether I should service it.

The brake is a SRAM Rival, and has over 25,000 km, and some corrosion on the clamp due to my not drying properly the bike after a rainy ride. The cable path is traditional, and if I'd like to make the lever feel a touch closer to the front, if I can.

Hand testing the brake, it offers a fair resistance (spring tension cannot be adjusted). It is smooth though and I have no reason to assume there's any need to clean and re-lube the pivots (the SRAM Service Manual says wash brakes with soapy water, full stop); the clamp pivot feels slighty 'grainy' but I suppose it's nothing compared to spring tension itself.

As a comparison, I have a pair of new 105 calipers (5700 series) that have been collecting dust for a few years - they feel more compliant than the Rival. I do suspect that it's by design, though.

BTW if I installed the 105s instead, what would the result be with Rival brifters? - IIRC the 5700 brake/levers had some sort of specific tuning, would that be a problem?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Hey there,

Before installing a new brake cable on my rear, I took it off to give a good clean - and was wondering whether I should service it.

The brake is a SRAM Rival, and has over 25,000 km, and some corrosion on the clamp due to my not drying properly the bike after a rainy ride. The cable path is traditional, and if I'd like to make the lever feel a touch closer to the front, if I can.

Hand testing the brake, it offers a fair resistance (spring tension cannot be adjusted). It is smooth though and I have no reason to assume there's any need to clean and re-lube the pivots (the SRAM Service Manual says wash brakes with soapy water, full stop); the clamp pivot feels slighty 'grainy' but I suppose it's nothing compared to spring tension itself.

As a comparison, I have a pair of new 105 calipers (5700 series) that have been collecting dust for a few years - they feel more compliant than the Rival. I do suspect that it's by design, though.

BTW if I installed the 105s instead, what would the result be with Rival brifters? - IIRC the 5700 brake/levers had some sort of specific tuning, would that be a problem?
Service them? You can lube the pivots if you want, or you can take it apart and clean everything then lube. If it's smooth this is probably a waste of time.

You want it to feel like the front? Replace the cable AND housing. Only way to do it.

They're SHIFTERS. Not the 'b' word. Stop that bad habit before it goes any further.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You want it to feel like the front? Replace the cable AND housing. Only way to do it.
As far as I can remember, the longer run of the rear could always be felt, out of the shop and whenever I replaced everything. It's not terribad, I just really love the feel of the front lever: such a pleasure to use. Then again it's a rear brake, so guess I'll just give it a good clean and see if I can do anything more about that clamp.

Don't think I've ever tried the PFTE coated that high-end groups use, though. What I'm using right now is just the basic OEM Shimano set that I paid the princely sum of €6 for (should've stocked up on those)

Whenever I have checked, PFTE-coated costed several times more, hence it never really seemed to make a lot of sense to me?

Anything you can tell me about using the 5700 brakes with the Rival thingamajings?

PS: j/k :p thought brifters was a Sheldon Brown approved term, though?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
5700 brakes will work fine w/ Rival shifters.

I don't care who uses the 'b' word, they all sound like idiots. No one in the industry uses the word. No pro mechanics use the word for fear of sounding like some newb on a bike forum. Save yourself while you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts