Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's an article on cyclingnews about Vaughters and potential signings for next year. Anyone know why Levi isn't a top choice for Garmin. Seems like a natural fit: Levi would do well to get off a team with Contador and Kloden on it so he can be a team leader. Garmin doesn't really have a strong GC contender. Levi's American so that would also fit well. Is there history between Vaughters and Levi that would block this, or just a money issue?

G

·
stevesbike said:
there's an article on cyclingnews about Vaughters and potential signings for next year. Anyone know why Levi isn't a top choice for Garmin. Seems like a natural fit: Levi would do well to get off a team with Contador and Kloden on it so he can be a team leader. Garmin doesn't really have a strong GC contender. Levi's American so that would also fit well. Is there history between Vaughters and Levi that would block this, or just a money issue?
Levi is a washed up has been.

His best years are behind him, he is not a GC leader for any legitimate contending team.

He is past his prime ( if he ever had one) and certainly would not be of interest to a team building on youth. And talent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Levi is a washed up has been.

His best years are behind him, he is not a GC leader for any legitimate contending team.

He is past his prime ( if he ever had one) and certainly would not be of interest to a team building on youth. And talent.
He might be washed up but I'll bet your ass couldn't stay on his wheel very long.

Bill

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would echo toomanybikes' comments. It doesnt seem worth the effort to invest in Levi at this point. All he does is win the TOC. I dont think they are concerned with a GC threat right now. They are still building and getting experience for their younger riders and seem to be looking looking "small" and going for some stage wins

·
Registered
650 Posts
garmin is a team with a great number of young riders and a few experienced older "wiser" heads they are also a conti team, They have a couple of riders in the middle age 28-30 but not many. A gc rider like levi has maybe one (if that) year left of really contending for grand tours. On another point garmin does have a few ex disco boys, Matt White director, Trent Lowe and Jono Vaughters so i dont feel that being an ex disco boy is a major threat to being signed on garmin.

G

·
BCR#1 said:
He might be washed up but I'll bet your ass couldn't stay on his wheel very long.

Bill
At what point did I intimate that I could.

Read carefully and you will see that I did not suggest that.

As to Levi, he is done.

His best years are long behind him.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
levi is probably too old for what slipstream/garmin/chipotle is doing. and he doesnt appear to be a leader. i think if garmin wanted an older guy to compliment the team, they would look to someone who could play the role of mentor, and i dont see levi as being much of a mentor. his tactics dont seem to be great. plus, he kinda suffered when he is away from johan. then again, he was on gerolsteiner...

i also think they will continue to look outside the US. voigt would be a great signing, but i dont see that happening. i think when he leaves CSC that will be it. actually, just about anyone from CSC would be a good acquisition. too bad julich is probably done after this year. again. i can see him take the mentor role.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you were to look around for younger American talent in the pro tour, you're not going to find it. I Garmin's ambition is to get there they have to go international. JV has mentioned that he would like to get a GC guy, who fits that mold...Cunego. He's young, won the Giro, anti-doping, marketable. I just don't know if they could aford him. Or they could offer Landis a "comeback" contract.:D

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
I'm new to watching the Pro scene but to me Levi is the most uninspiring rider that always places fairly high. I have yet to see him attack in any of the races that I have watched. His steady style seems to serve him well, but I like to see a little more passion, ala Hincape.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
What about the fact that Levi probably has too high of an asking price? His age hurts him too. I'm pretty sure that someone 35+ has only won the Tour once, and that was somewhere north of 50 years ago.

That's not to say he isn't a strong rider, because he certainly is. But why pay a premium for someone who statistically has no chance to contend for the GC.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for people who think Levi can't race aggressively, you should watch the youtube clip of Levi riding every top US pro off his wheel and soloing for 40km to win last year's US championships. I agree he's getting old, but he's still the strongest US stage racer, and would likely be next year as well. I think he still has another run at the Tour left in him.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
stevesbike said:
for people who think Levi can't race aggressively, you should watch the youtube clip of Levi riding every top US pro off his wheel and soloing for 40km to win last year's US championships. I agree he's getting old, but he's still the strongest US stage racer, and would likely be next year as well. I think he still has another run at the Tour left in him.
Your points are exactly the problem though. Being one of the most, if not the most, dominate US all arounders currently riding, he likely expects (and deserves) good pay. Can Garmin, which is by all accounts a relatively small team, afford to pay that just to have a high GC placing in next year's Tour? Garmin has a fair amount of big name riders, so they have to be stretched tight budget wise.

I'd think the money is better spent on some young blood.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I think Vaughters would look for a young talent, he's got enough old dogs already to do the teaching.

And he's already got the next big hope under contract... shame he's too young yet: Taylor Phinney.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Creakyknees said:
And he's already got the next big hope under contract... shame he's too young yet: Taylor Phinney.
I understand that he's thought to be classics guy in the making, not a GC hopeful.

JV said they are limited to a maximum of 25 riders. Some sort of UCI by-law pertaining to Continental Pro teams. He also said they MIGHT want to sign an established GC contender. Could that be Levi (he of the breakaway win at ToC, and ultra-high-mountain win at Tour of Germany, BTW)? I sort of doubt it. His being American is a hindrance, rather than a help, if anything. Garmin wants European exposure, so they'd probably want a Euro.

OTOH, with the infusion of cash from Garmin they could probably afford a Levi or his ilk. If they could truly contend for GC at a big GT they'd want to do that.

JSR

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.