Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
oh my god levi is sooo strong, he is the first rider to ever win a race with an injury oh my god....he must be better than lance and eddy mercxxxx......come on dude who cares levi is a has been lets focus on some real riders....

sorry no offense to the poster i am not a levi fan........i dont get it....he has been training since last summer for AToC...i would hope he would win against everyone else who is essentially just starting their season......

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
so...?

repartocorse40 said:
oh my god levi is sooo strong, he is the first rider to ever win a race with an injury oh my god....he must be better than lance and eddy mercxxxx......come on dude who cares levi is a has been lets focus on some real riders....

sorry no offense to the poster i am not a levi fan........i dont get it....he has been training since last summer for AToC...i would hope he would win against everyone else who is essentially just starting their season......
So Levi trained for his home race and took the win. That makes him...? Weak, lame,no good, a has been? How do you figure that? And when he consistently finishes the big Tours near the top, that means he is not a "real rider?" Huh? Who exactly are these "real riders" we should be focusing on? Just curious...

What's a rider have to do to be a "real rider"?...I'd define a real rider as someone who does what he trains to do and finishes most big races better than almost all the other guys racing in the world...Ya think that just anyone who trained all summer should be able to win the ATOC? Come on, that looked to be a plenty tough race win Old Levi the has been pulled off...

Don Hanson

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
My mommy told me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tyler broke his collar bone and ground all his teeth away but I find myself strangely unable to appreciate this act of bravery.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yah, nobody shoes up to win at TOC.......pull pull..... I was never a fan of Levi, after letting Alberto win in Spain and another ToC win.........great to see him doing well............its tough to win when healthy, big props for doing it hurt.

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Dude, show some respect

repartocorse4, IMHO your position is completely without merit. Like him or not, Levi is one of the top professionals in the world currently competing. The facts of his record do not support any other position. I submit the following link for your learned inspection:
http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/rankings/ranking_combined_overall.txt

Gnarly 928, has it exactly right. Please do let us in on the list of "real riders" we should be admiring.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
repartocorse40 said:

Cool way to stir up some fire here.

I guess placing on the Vuelta podium doesn't mean anything. Oh wait, he's trained for that all his life whereas everyone else in that race doesn't care about it, save for Alberto Contador. Yeah, that must be it.

Hmm, I'm sure his Olympic TT medal position also doesn't mean much I suppose since, you guessed it, he trained all his life for it too and will never be as good as Fabian is. He sucks, can never be at the top, and is a has been! Right on!! Oh wait, he has been a near the top GC guy in the past few years, but is even higher placed as of late. I guess it still qualifies as being a has been.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
estone2 said:
My mommy told me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.
While I agree, I call troll maybe.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Contador raced with a fractured radius IIRC in a big race last year.

Not saying anything - just that, it gives even more props to him, Levi and other riders who've performed well despite a fracture or other injury that would keep them out of a race perhaps.

Just shows how tough and dedicated these guys are man.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Yeah, that Levi..what a jerk..being a good team mate AND placing super high in GC in big races.

btw: I wonder what the other riders in the peleton, who have been ground under his wheelsucking heel in the ITT and various mountain stage over the past few years have to say?

I bet he gets mad respect. He single handedly made Contador pee his shorts, WHILE supporting him last year.

Ask Valverde, Sastre, and Contador about Levi's work up the Angrilu last year.

"real riders", indeed...

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
Stogaguy said:
repartocorse4, IMHO your position is completely without merit. Like him or not, Levi is one of the top professionals in the world currently competing. The facts of his record do not support any other position. I submit the following link for your learned inspection:

Gnarly 928, has it exactly right. Please do let us in on the list of "real riders" we should be admiring.

I posted on this just a while back. Some people just really don't like Levi, and I can't see why. The only thing close to an answer than I can get from anybody is that maybe he isn't the most exciting rider to watch. Even if that is true, I don't think it is a reason to revile him like some people do. Is it b/c he is a nice, plainspoken guy from Montana and not the stereotypical roadie? Would people like him more if he talked a little trash about other riders, or if he came under doping allegations (like many other of the more "popular" riders)? I liked the way in stage 2 of the AToC that he just sort of rode off of the front; one of the strangest looking attacks I've seen.
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but this reminds me a little bit of Gino Bartali. Bartali was a fantastic cyclist with two Giro and two TDF victories. However, he retains much less modern day fame than his contemporary Fausto Coppi. Bartali was conservative and known for staying in the saddle when attacking on mountains (boring, like Levi). Coppi had a more worldly personality, blatantly doped, and was a playboy. Just about the only time these days that I hear people talk about Bartali is if they are criticizing him for calling Coppi out on his drug use.

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Good point

Your Levi / Gino Bartali analogy is and interesting one. I just read through Bartali's bio again at cycling Hall of Fame.

As for Levi's attack in AToC, I thought it was great. He just dropped the hammer and rode every other GC contender right off his wheel

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
How credible is CHOF?

This just doesn't add up.

Seems that the listing is skewed towards GT winners as Indurain and Armstrong are way too high in the all time rankings.

But, as regards Leipheimer, he is the antithesis of LA and consequently a more likeable rider in my book. Hope to see him get some more wins this season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts