Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Honestly some nice news imo.

I'm not a big Levi fan, think he "deserves it", "needs a win" or consider him super 1337 to easily take Leadville, but it's nice for his record books - winning and setting the new record. Keeping himself involved and competitive.Great.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nice news indeed. Levi didn't have the greatest TdF and then his former manager at Gerolsteiner (Michael Holczer) throws mud his way. :mad2: Good for Levi.

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Levi Leipheimer @ 6:16:37.2 (1st in his division)
2. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski @ 6:25:21.4 (2nd in his division) **
3. Todd Wells @ 6:30:31.1 (3rd in his division)
4. Dave Wiens @ 6:33:54.1 (1st in his division)
5. Jeremiah Bishop @ 6:33:54.4 (4th in his division)

**2nd place finisher Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski also beat Armstrong's 2009 time (6:28:50)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Leadville is not considered to be technical (it's the altitude and climbing that makes it difficult), but anytime you are on a trail for 6+hrs a FS will feel better. I would consider this a HT type race

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
spade2you said:
Definitely not nearly as "easy" as on a road bike, although most of my friends have suggested that Leadville requires full suspension.

Lots of racers use 29er hardtails now for endurance events. Riding tubless with sub 20lb pressure in 29" tires + carbon or ti post + compliant frame = pretty darn comfy w/no rear suspension. Plus, Leadville is not a techy/rough trail overall, so HT is perfectly fine for this one. Full squishy is going to still be more comfy, but you give up a bit of weight and climbing performance...

I ride/race on a Lynskey 29er ti hardtail w/tubeless setup in case you were wondering:thumbsup: I am on my 4th 29er and this one is the best so far.. I prefer my 29er for most endurance events (12 hour etc) but prefer a 26" ht for anything 2 hours or less...

Oh...and great job Levi! Hmmm..

·
Registered
706 Posts
rydbyk said:
Lots of racers use 29er hardtails now for endurance events. Riding tubless with sub 20lb pressure in 29" tires + carbon or ti post + compliant frame = pretty darn comfy w/no rear suspension. Plus, Leadville is not a techy/rough trail overall, so HT is perfectly fine for this one. Full squishy is going to still be more comfy, but you give up a bit of weight and climbing performance...

I race a Lynskey 29er ti hardtail w/tubeless setup in case you were wondering:thumbsup: I am on my 4th 29er and this one is the best so far..
I'm not a 'racer' but I did the Wilderness 101 two weeks ago on a rigid 1X9 29er. There definitely some techy down hills that had me shaking my wrists out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts