Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Lezyne ABS2 chuck but don't like the o-ring design of their floor pump. I like Silca floor pump with its traditional diaphragm but don't like the standard chuck.

Does anyone know if Lezyne ABS2 chuck can be used on Silca floor pump? I noticed the difference in the hose diameter of Lezyne and Silca (larger) floor pumps. Lezyne ABS2 HV (high volume, orange color) chuck looks little larger in hose attachment diameter.
Product Red Amber Cylinder Tool
Is it compatible or is there some kind of adapter that can be used?

BTW, the reason for my search is because I don't want to spend +-$100 for Silca Hiro or Hirame chuck which are said to be nice.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I used a dissimilar diameter chuck to rejuvenate my old Silca track pump. Just used a mini hose clamp to secure it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Or you could use non-threaded valve stems, and not have a problem with the Silca chuck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Spend the money and buy the Silca Hiro. You'll also need the thread on Schrader chuck to get the hose barb.

Yea, It's stupid expensive but it's also really,really great. Every time I use it, I thank my irresponsible, impulsive, spendthrift, bike-stuff-buying self. Seriously.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I like Lezyne ABS2 chuck but don't like the o-ring design of their floor pump. I like Silca floor pump with its traditional diaphragm but don't like the standard chuck.

Does anyone know if Lezyne ABS2 chuck can be used on Silca floor pump? I noticed the difference in the hose diameter of Lezyne and Silca (larger) floor pumps. Lezyne ABS2 HV (high volume, orange color) chuck looks little larger in hose attachment diameter.

Is it compatible or is there some kind of adapter that can be used?

BTW, the reason for my search is because I don't want to spend +-$100 for Silca Hiro or Hirame chuck which are said to be nice.
Go to a decent hardware store and look at all the adapters they have for connecting hose of different size. Get the right size hose for the chuck, an adapter, and two hose clamps. Splice it all together. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sil-zyne Pump

It works. Here is a picture of my Sil-zyne floor pump.

Brown Brick Wall Line Amber

Since the HV chuck by Lezyne has larger diameter at the insert tip, I had to carve out the inside little bit of Silca hose with drill bit (twist it with hand).
Product Amber Metal Household hardware Brass

It's a tight fit but much cheaper than $110 Silca Hiro chuck.

FYI, what also works is Lezyne HP floor pump hose and chuck to fit Silca floor pump. Hose fits tight at the nozzle where Silca gauge is but since Lezyne hose stretches little better than Silca hose (may have been old), it works.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Silca pump with Silca Hiro head. I think it is over rated. When you slide the lever open to remove it, sometimes it seems like you get some air leaking out before it disengages. I've used some cheaper pumps and I like how some just pop off cleanly when you open the lever.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have a Silca pump with Silca Hiro head. I think it is over rated. When you slide the lever open to remove it, sometimes it seems like you get some air leaking out before it disengages. I've used some cheaper pumps and I like how some just pop off cleanly when you open the lever.
That air is leaking out of the pump reservoir or hose, not the tire. A presta valve is operated by differential air pressure, so it's only open when the pump pressure exceeds the internal tire pressure (this is not like a Shrader valve, with a spring-operated valve). That little hiss you hear does not mean you lost any pressure from the tire.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Silca pump with Silca Hiro head. I think it is over rated.
Lezyne ABS2 chuck being $18 and working well, I would say $110 chuck is just too much. They say Hiro lasts long time. Well, I can buy couple more $18 chucks and still save a lot. :nono:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts