Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lezyne CNC Floor Drive Pump: JUNK [Update]

Oh, and horrible customer service. Okay, that's not fair... 'cause I have actually never heard back from Lezyne after three attempts to get help with the pump. So really, I don't know how good the service is.

This pump purchase has gotta be some sort of karma. I didn't need the pump. I had then, and still use, a cheap Hurricane from Performance. It's been a great (!) pump. But, the Lezyne CNC Floor Drive was shiny and pretty... and yeah, I bought it and shouldn't have.

The primary downside to the pump is that it won't inflate a tire. It's still pretty good at looking pretty. It just doesn't actually work.

The pump is quite adept at inflating its own hose. It just won't share the air with the tube. You know that feeling - affix chuck, push handle and it springs back. Yep, that's my shiny Lezyne pump.

Here are the complex steps I've been following - in case I've been misusing the pump:
1. back valve nut out a bit
2. pop (pffffft!) valve to assure it's working
3. thread on the Lezyne chuck
4. play pogo stick with the handle - it feels bouncy
5. unthread and remove chuck
6. grab old Performance pump, air up and ride

Is there a special step I skipped? Or, is this a common thing with this very pretty pump?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have had exact problem with mine. The check valve gets out of place and gets stuck in the passage between pump and gauge. If you unscrew the body from the base and look in the base you will see a seat for check valve with 2 small holes in it that you can unscrew with needle nose or snap ring pliers. When you unscrew this you should see a tapered check valve with spring underneath it. What happened with mine is spring and valve became dislodged. I took plug out of far end of base and blew check valve and spring out. Put it all back together and it worked twice before happening again. My thought was to take it apart and put a small screw up from bottom to retain spring but have not done so yet. I just keep using my old plastic pump.
And I agree about there customer support. It is non existent.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Lezyne requires "special care". Because of the way the chuck is made it's very easy for the presta valve nut to be screwed back down as you're threading on the Lezyne chuck. When you unscrew the chuck the valve nut screws back out again.

I've used one for a couple years now and the only time I've had trouble is if the presta valve stem is bent. I only became aware of the difficulty after my son and son-in-law both had trouble getting it to work.

Here are my suggestions,

1. unscrew the valve nut as far as it will go.
2. hold the chuck/hose assemble as straight as possible when threading it onto the valve.
3. thread it on as far as it will go.
4 pump air.

I've worked with machines all my life and I'm very attentive to details. I use the Lezyne with pleasure.

hth

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Some presta valves are better than others.

With some, the pump will not work unless you do one of two things:

1. Pump it up to about 200 psi and wait for it to snap/work. (I do this option)

2. Let out the majority of air from the tube, then connect and pump.

Those are your only two options with some valves.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a similar experience with a Park Tools pump. I got it because of the general rep of Park Tools, and it kept blowing out its little safety O ring whenever I tried to pump past 50 psi... ie, all the time!

I just binned it and got a Joe Blow floor pump, which works perfectly on both Presta (bikes) and Schraeder (cars). GBP 30 in UK, no idea of US price.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@J.R. you inspired me to give the pump another shot. I started with the rear... opened valve all the way, burped it, carefully threaded the chuck on... pumped. First pump shot to 100+ - it was filling the hose. But, one more hard pump, and it popped the valve open... aired up to 105 and done. Then the front... same procedure, but when I unthreaded the chuck, it took the valve core with it - WHOOOSH... 0 psi.

I have solidified the roles of the two pumps...

- Old, cheap, scratched up, rusting Performance brand pump: Airing up tires
- Shiny, pretty Lezyne CNC Floor Drive pump: Looking shiny and pretty

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Shiny, pretty Lezyne CNC Floor Drive pump: Looking shiny and pretty
LOL, we tried to use one of those Lezynes as a shop pump. It lasted three days before being relegated to "shop decor."

Lezyne needs to spend a little less money on visual design and a little more on the boring mechanical end of things. Then again, that Lezyne prettiness seems to work for them as far as sales numbers are concerned.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
If the problem is in the pump head, remove the head and replace it with a better design.

·
Registered
727 Posts
@OldZasker, I'm sorry to have caused you more trouble :).

Here is my latest advice. Use your old pump to put air in your tires. Keep the pretty one for visual appeal and for whenever your "friends" ask to borrow a pump. When they complain about it not working you can say "that's weird, I never have any trouble with it". This will make them feel like a total clutz. (that may not even be a word but they'll still feel like one).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is just user error.

You've now discovered how to use it, but you still have to be careful when using it.
Oh, I don't doubt that. But, I've been airing up tires since 1973 (I was 5), and I've yet to encounter a user error with a pump. There are plenty of other opportunities in my life for user errors. I think a pump that adds to that will have to be sidelined.

J.R, that's perfect. Both pumps will be left out - and you know which one my buddies will reach for. I'll report back ;-)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
This will make them feel like a total clutz. (that may not even be a word but they'll still feel like one).
It's a (Yiddish) word, but it's spelled with a "k". And that's a mean trick you suggest. Inspired and funny, but mean.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Is your Lezyne pump one of the older versions that does not include this style of chuck: Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Digital Pumps - Accessories - ABS Flip Thread Chuck HP ? If it is, try one and it should take care of the problems you are having with the stems unscrewing from the valve of the tube when you remove the chuck. The button on the side releases all the pressure in the hose and allows the chuck to be removed without unscrewing the valve.

Mine is about 6-7 years old and I was having the same problem as you since I use Conti tubes. I added this newer style chuck and have not had any problems since then with stems coming out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lezyne. Best pump ever used. Only one that I did have to use one hand to hold the pump head onto the valve while pumping, because otherwise the air leaks out etc. On the Lezyne, I screw it on, and pump up the tire. And here's the kicker, while using two hands.

Sorry others have issues. Two solid years and I can't sing it's praises high enough.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Oh, and horrible customer service. Okay, that's not fair... 'cause I have actually never heard back from Lezyne after three attempts to get help with the pump. So really, I don't know how good the service is.

This pump purchase has gotta be some sort of karma. I didn't need the pump. I had then, and still use, a cheap Hurricane from Performance. It's been a great (!) pump. But, the Lezyne CNC Floor Drive was shiny and pretty... and yeah, I bought it and shouldn't have.

The primary downside to the pump is that it won't inflate a tire. It's still pretty good at looking pretty. It just doesn't actually work.

The pump is quite adept at inflating its own hose. It just won't share the air with the tube. You know that feeling - affix chuck, push handle and it springs back. Yep, that's my shiny Lezyne pump.

Here are the complex steps I've been following - in case I've been misusing the pump:
1. back valve nut out a bit
2. pop (pffffft!) valve to assure it's working
3. thread on the Lezyne chuck
4. play pogo stick with the handle - it feels bouncy
5. unthread and remove chuck
6. grab old Performance pump, air up and ride

Is there a special step I skipped? Or, is this a common thing with this very pretty pump?
What's wrong with the pump. It fits roadie criteria. It looks good.

You want it to work too??? LOL
That's like asking a bike component to be inexpensive, light, and strong.

You bought a pump on looks. Do you buy wine because of the cool label (taste be damn)

(the above post is sarcasm in case anyone detector is broken today)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
This is just user error.

You've now discovered how to use it, but you still have to be careful when using it.
Their floor pumps are just a pain. They are just too hard to use. I should not have think about using a floor pump.

Of the two I have used, one worked, but was a pain with certain tubes. The other, the gauge was so far off (way under), I'm lucky I did not blow off a tire bead pump my tires up for a ride (on it's first use)

I'm a huge fan of their mini pumps, tools and LED lights. However, for floor pumps, I look elsewhere.................unless I want a wall decoration.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the comments on this thread. I have an old performance brand pump that cost about $30 about 10 years ago. It has been dying all season. I was thinking of picking up one of those very attractive leyzne floor pumps.

If you have to learn a special technique to use it and/or buy only certain kinds of presta valves, I ain't buying it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Reading threads like this sure makes me happy that I bought my Silca 30yrs ago.
:thumbsup:

I've had 1 Silca since the 70's, rebuilt a couple of times, and it is still going strong in my shop. The 2nd Silca is in the garage, in use since the mid-90's, and just had the leather washer replaced for the first time. Both pumps will outlive me.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
:thumbsup:

I've had 1 Silca since the 70's, rebuilt a couple of times, and it is still going strong in my shop. The 2nd Silca is in the garage, in use since the mid-90's, and just had the leather washer replaced for the first time. Both pumps will outlive me.
I know where I can get one nos for a good price, but keep talking myself out of it because the one I have will probably be buried with me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts