Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate feedback on the above pump.
I like the idea of a hose. It makes it less likely to rip the valve.
I would appreciate however a pump that would take advantage of my pump peg.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I use the Lezyne Road Drive

I've been packing the Road Drive L for about 6 months or so. The main advantage is that is easy on valve stems. It does take a little longer to use as you have to unscrew the hose from the pump body and screw it onto the other end of the pump. I find it easier to screw the hose onto the tube valve first then screw the pump onto the valve Otherwise you have to rotate the entire pump while screwing it onto the valve, and that is a little awkward. Secondly- it does take many strokes to get a tire to a rideable psi. It took me 180 strokes to get up to around 90psi. I figure 200 to get up to 100 psi(I use 25 tires). It is a little on the long side for a mini, the L is 11". I've always used my mini pumps in conjunction with co2. Pump first to seat the tube, put in around 30-40 psi then finish off with a 12g co2. If you have a pump peg on your bike, just about any full length pump will work. Blackburn, Zefal, Silca and others. I pack a full length pump on my old steel bike and it does not have a peg. The newer Blackburn's fit snugly and have rubberized ends. Full length pumps means you have air as long as you have two arms. Takes me around 72 strokes to get up to a rideable psi.

For info-I wrote a detailed review for Performance Bike on the Road Drive L and they did not publish it. They have no reviews listed for the pump. Most of my review was favorable, no clue why it was rejected.

I like the Lezyne, but there are other mini's that work just as well or better. I'm just hard on valve stems. That's why I bought it. For that reason, it works great.

I wish Lezyne would come out with a full length pump with a hose attachment. That would be a super pump. I contacted Lezyne and they said they had no plans for a full length pump as the Road Drive works as well as a full length (baloney).

·
Atom B
202 Posts
I use a Road Drive L as well. I chose it over a traditional frame pump because my frame has a sloping top tube. It's mounted along the down tube, and is fairly inconspicuous next to the bottle cage because of its small diameter. The flexible hose design was well thought-out. I have no issues with its pumping capacity - I run my 25s at only 80 psi.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very tough on valves. That is why I was considering a pump with a hose. I have a Silca pump with a Campy head. I find it difficult to get enough pressure with it. I was wondering whether the Blackburn would be better.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Blackburn

I have a couple of Blackburn full sized frame pumps. Two aluminum and one carbon. No problem getting enough air. The technique with using a frame pump is to have the valve at the 12 o'clock position and put both hands on the pump. One supporting the pump at the valve end and the other doing the pumping. The tire/wheel will sway back and forth but it will not damage the valve stem.

The Zefal HP is a fine pump also. The Lezyne is a nice little pump. It just takes a little more work to inflat a tire. Depends on how many flats you get. Once you master the use of a frame pump, you can inflat a tire lickity split. The important thing is just to pack something reliable..

·
Registered
238 Posts
love it

i love my lezyne road drive....totally replaces co2 for me. makes me feel environmental and no performance loss (ie. limping home on 50psi)

i'm not sure what other guys are talking about in terms of only getting it to 85psi. the reason i love it compared to the crappy crank bro mini pumps is the lezyne actually will get the tire up to 100psi totally replacing co2 for me.

maybe it's because i'm a triathlete and have a it more upper body strength but it's a lot easier to pump than other mini pumps.

impressively light, and as everyone has said, the screw on tube is genius.

my only problem is the pump holder. it works great on my merlin with standard bottle bosses, but calfee has a different bottle boss and so it doesn't work there, and the road drive is a bit too long to toss in a jersey pocket.

jksu

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,947 Posts
My most recent discovery was Lezyne's Micro Floor Drive HPG pump. Small enough for a cage mount, has an accurate gauge, and it is the first mini pump I've ever owned that can actually pump up to 120psi without wearing out my arm. It has replaced the floor pump I used to have to carry in my luggage with my travel bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
followup. it's been about 3 years and i've used the pump maybe 2-3x/year -- lucky i guess, rarely flat and at least a few of the uses were for other people's flat.

pump had been working ok, but rubber caps were corroding/breaking off...

this last ride, when i went to unscrew and pull it out, the whole pump mechanism pulled out! total failure!

fortunately purchased at performance and even 3 years out, they refunded me. not sure if i'll replace it with another (looks like lezyne came out with a "v2" version probably addressing these longevity issues) .. or just go with a topeak.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I own the Lezyne Road Drive, in fact I did a review of it on this sites review section, so instead of repeating myself and doing so accurately just read this: Lezyne Road Drive mini Pump Reviews Do note, if you decide on the Lezyne get the larger size of the two, if you get the small thinking you'll save weight your not going to be able to get past 75 or so PSI and will have to pump 500 times or so to get there. They make two sizes, a small and a medium.

Then read about the Topeak Road Morph G pump I also own and did a review: Topeak Road Morph G Pump Reviews
Note, the G stands for gauge, it has a built in psi gauge, if you get the one without the G it's the same pump just no gauge.

There is a new Topeak on the market called the RaceRocket HPX, it too has a air hose but it's stored internally like the Lezyne. The RaceRocket looks promising and I have heard that it will reach 110psi, but I haven't bought one yet to see, but I am considering buying one just to try.

Also, like I said in the reviews, most is any mini pumps will not reach their 160 psi rated capacity! The Lezyne and the Topeak that I reviewed go higher then any other pumps out there with the Topeak going the highest. Some mini's are so small you'll be lucky to get to 60 psi after 600 strokes. I have a SKS Puro black that would only get to 60, then on the second attempt at a different flat it broke and wouldn't go above 25; SKS however has great customer service and they sent me for free a SKS Wise Carbon Raceday pump and that one works great.

Also note; todays tubes are not being manufactured with reinforced valve stem to prevent the valve stem from tearing off the tube, this is a feeble attempt to save a penny on each tube. So in response to that pump manufactures are slowly coming out with more pumps that have the hose. If you buy a pump get one with the hose, it will create less stress at the stem and prevent a major failure of the tube.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hose is good. I have a Road Drive and use and like it. However, I also have a Topeak Race Rocket, which also has a hose, and feel it's a better and more convenient design than the Lezyne pump. The hose is captive and free to rotate as opposed to the separate, non-rotating hose of the Lezyne. I also prefer the Race Rocket chuck over the Road Drive's chuck. I've used both and either works well at inflating the tire to ~100 psi.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Hose is good. I have a Road Drive and use and like it. However, I also have a Topeak Race Rocket, which also has a hose, and feel it's a better and more convenient design than the Lezyne pump. The hose is captive and free to rotate as opposed to the separate, non-rotating hose of the Lezyne. I also prefer the Race Rocket chuck over the Road Drive's chuck. I've used both and either works well at inflating the tire to ~100 psi.
Thanks for your reply on the Rocket, you should review it on the Review side of this site.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
You're a counter like me, lol. I have a Road Drive med. and get about 95-100 psi in 200 strokes, but that only takes about 75 sec.
That's one of the reasons I like the cheaper Topeak Road Morph because it will get to 100 psi in about 100 strokes and takes about 60 seconds to 75 depending on how motivated I am.

My Lezyne takes about 300 strokes to get to 110, not sure what the difference is between yours and mine.

The shaft diameter of the Topeak is about twice the size of the Lezyne and longer, so it goes to reason that would take more strokes and more strength to achieve higher pressures. Which is why I was a bit concerned about trying the Topeak RaceRocket because it's quite a bit smaller then either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the Road Drive M, and it works great. It is easier on valves and is able to get up to high pressure (90+ PSI) relatively easily. You can also buy the hose that shows tire pressure as well.

Only draw backs are that the pump gets quite hot from a lot of pumping (which is sort of expected). Also, the fact that you need to screw it on the valve presented an issue once for me, as it screwed the top of the valve off everytime I tried to unscrew it. I couldn't get the tip of the valve tight enough so that I could pump up the tube and then unscrew it, so I ended up using a friend's pump. This may depend on what type of tubes you use, though.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
However, buying the hose with the gauge for the Lezyne makes that pump very expensive because the hose is an additional $22, so now you have about a $70 pump! The Topeak Road Morph G comes with the gauge and cost about $32 if you find a good sale, but you have to buy a bracket if you want to mount it alongside the water bottle cage for about $6 which I thought was weird of Topeak, but it still makes the pump half the price of the Lezyne with the air gauge hose.

However, the Lezyne is a nicer looking pump of the two and lighter in weight, no doubt about that.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have the RD in size medium, with one on two different bikes. Yesterday I punctured and when trying to use the pump a vacuum was being created. Made it a challenged to open the pump, then it sucked back closed itself, and the vacuum made it so that I got only very little air into the tube.

Never had this happen before, not sure what caused it. Doesn't seem to be anything in the chamber. Ever 10-15 pumps the vacuum would be broken, the pump would work fine, and I'd get a full chamber of air.

Anyone have this issue? I was having a crap day, so maybe it was just a one off thing.

Never had a problem with either of the two RDs I own, but this made inflation hard. I grabbed my CO2 and used that.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
...when trying to use the pump a vacuum was being created. Made it a challenged to open the pump, then it sucked back closed itself...Anyone have this issue?
That has happened to me twice. The first time I puzzled over it a bit and finally pulled the piston ~ 1/2 way back and released it letting it slam down under it's own force. That jarred it enough to free up the intake valve and it worked fine after that. The second time it let go on it's own after a couple of tries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts