Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
I and a few other cyclist have the LG Prologue Helmet... Is this really much better than a regular helmet? I understand fewer holes up front helps, but the back of the helmet almost sticks up rather than curving down:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0PHA001F000197&po=197
In looking the photo I would say there probably would be lots of improvements to be made before even looking at the helmet. The jersey alone flapping around can't be too fantastic, but the helmet is an older model and not even in the LG lineup any longer. I certainly wouldn't say its the best TT helmet in the world, but better than your standard helmet...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tilt the helmet farther back such that the point sits farther down. You have it too far down on your forehead. TT helmets don't sit the same as regular helmets and it probably won't be as comfortable.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I read somewhere that when you move your head down so that the helmet is pointing up you are more aerodynamic then with the head up and looking straight ahead. Wish I could remember the article but I cannot.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
logansites said:
I read somewhere that when you move your head down so that the helmet is pointing up you are more aerodynamic then with the head up and looking straight ahead. Wish I could remember the article but I cannot.
Yes, for this helmet in particular, the reason being the vents in the front are actually a drag source and when you look down they're out of the direct wind. I saw the same article.

But it's not becuase of the shape of the tail.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Yes, for this helmet in particular, the reason being the vents in the front are actually a drag source and when you look down they're out of the direct wind. I saw the same article.

The more I think about it the more I want to say it was a study done with Fabian Cancellara in the wind tunnel. Maybe something about how with your head down and the tail acting like a fin it moves the wind more smoothly over your back with less turbulence. Ill try to find it.

edit: This isnt the article I read originially but it says the same thing.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/helmets.html

During these years I kept noticing that the pointy helmets were always faster when the riders would drop their head down and have the tails sticking up in the air. I believed this was because of the way that using aerobars made the air go over the shoulders, but the helmet companies never put much stock in that theory. They were diverting most of their R&D money to the safety side of things, with which I have no quarrel. And they have developed much lighter, cooler and prettier helmets. But they are also much slower helmets. In October '98 Lance Armstrong called me and said he wanted to do a big wind tunnel camp for his team to be held the following January. I've worked with Lance many times since '91 and always found him very interested and "smart" about positioning and equipment, and I eagerly agreed.

We all got together at the tunnel to do a bunch of testing on six team riders to get them ready for time trials in the upcoming season. During this testing I had each rider use several different head positions to show how important it is that they hold their head "just so" during a race. Sometimes it really doesn't matter, and sometimes it is a big deal. In Lance's case I was able to show that his drag dropped a bunch when his face was down and the helmet tail was sticking pretty much straight up. I had to run several tests to convince everyone this was the case. The numbers don't lie, and I was sure we had found some speed. Lance was pretty excited and said he'd get Giro to build anything I dreamed up, so I got started designing what I hoped would be a pretty fast helmet.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
logansites said:
The more I think about it the more I want to say it was a study done with Fabian Cancellara in the wind tunnel. Maybe something about how with your head down and the tail acting like a fin it moves the wind more smoothly over your back with less turbulence. Ill try to find it.

edit: This isnt the article I read originially but it says the same thing.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/helmets.html

During these years I kept noticing that the pointy helmets were always faster when the riders would drop their head down and have the tails sticking up in the air. I believed this was because of the way that using aerobars made the air go over the shoulders, but the helmet companies never put much stock in that theory. They were diverting most of their R&D money to the safety side of things, with which I have no quarrel. And they have developed much lighter, cooler and prettier helmets. But they are also much slower helmets. In October '98 Lance Armstrong called me and said he wanted to do a big wind tunnel camp for his team to be held the following January. I've worked with Lance many times since '91 and always found him very interested and "smart" about positioning and equipment, and I eagerly agreed.

We all got together at the tunnel to do a bunch of testing on six team riders to get them ready for time trials in the upcoming season. During this testing I had each rider use several different head positions to show how important it is that they hold their head "just so" during a race. Sometimes it really doesn't matter, and sometimes it is a big deal. In Lance's case I was able to show that his drag dropped a bunch when his face was down and the helmet tail was sticking pretty much straight up. I had to run several tests to convince everyone this was the case. The numbers don't lie, and I was sure we had found some speed. Lance was pretty excited and said he'd get Giro to build anything I dreamed up, so I got started designing what I hoped would be a pretty fast helmet.
Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa....

Are you saying are helmets are faster tail up (vertical not horizontal)???? That completely goes against everything I've heard. I thought they developed the rev 5 for lance because he had that weird back hump. And if it was faster to keep the tail up why did he work during his career to keep his eyes up (lances position is noticably more stable in 04/05 than in 99). What about that comment from lemond that his TT helmet in 89 was completely useless since he rode the whole thing with his eyes down.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Creakyknees said:

Yup, seems like a lot of confounding factors.

A third variable is the position of the head. The most aerodynamic position for the head is almost surely with the face pointed straight down at the ground, neutral neck, just like swimming. Well, that's the position that makes the tail of the helmet stick up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.