Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming that Liberty Seguros-Würth will lose their Pro Tour team designation from UCI because their sponser cancelled, which team should be selected to take their place in the Tour?

· Banned
608 Posts
Skil-Shimano would be a cool choice because of the Japanese riders.
Unibet
Chocolade Jacques
Landbouwkrediet-Colnago

There could be several openings by July.

· Registered
654 Posts
Through Season

Cycling.tv is reporting that Liberty Seguros WILL continue through the end of the season (while the sponsorship has been canceled, I assume that the most of the money to fund this year's racing has already been committed and paid).

· Banned
608 Posts
sbindra said:
Cycling.tv is reporting that Liberty Seguros WILL continue through the end of the season...
But will the ASO allow them into the Tour?

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
But will the ASO allow them into the Tour?

I am sure they have a line crappy french teams waiting in the wings to take their place. If they do deny them, Unibet should take their place after being denied a wildcard at the beginning of the season

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
My guess would be Unibet. Although never underestimate ASO's desire to pack the peloton with crappy second tier French teams.

:rolleyes:

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
OK, I'm going to go on a limb here and say that since the FFC reforms (year-long medical surveillance by independent doctors) in the wake of the 1998 Festina melt-down, french teams have been " crappy" because the kind of blood doping the 200 or so other top cyclists on Fuentes' client list would have been detected! The dice will fall where they will but if it turns out that the Ulrich's and Basso's of the Peleton (and not just the Mancebos and Guiterrezes) were in fact hopping up on oxygenated blood -- then the new and possibly purged peleton will see some good performances from the French. That's all I'm going to say but just remember you heard it here first!

A+

Philippe

· Registered
54 Posts
philippec said:
OK, I'm going to go on a limb here and say that since the FFC reforms (year-long medical surveillance by independent doctors) in the wake of the 1998 Festina melt-down, french teams have been " crappy" because the kind of blood doping the 200 or so other top cyclists on Fuentes' client list would have been detected! The dice will fall where they will but if it turns out that the Ulrich's and Basso's of the Peleton (and not just the Mancebos and Guiterrezes) were in fact hopping up on oxygenated blood -- then the new and possibly purged peleton will see some good performances from the French. That's all I'm going to say but just remember you heard it here first!

A+

Philippe
Thats it, the French riders have had a crappy decade because they are the only clean riders in the world. Who knew.

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
philippec said:
you heard it here first!!
I love the optimism of the French...every year it's something new

· Banned
608 Posts
If fifty top riders don't make it to the Tour then this year's event could get very interesting. Those that rediculed cycling at two speeds will have to eat some crow. Maybe we will even get a Tour where the final result is not obvious from the prologue.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
philippec said:

A+

Philippe
The scary thing is that i've been secretly thinking this. What if the French teams are the only clean ones now (due to their environment). Something to chew on to be sure.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
wheel_suker said:
Barloworld, more results this season than some of the pro teams. No grand tour wild card selections and a commited sponsor. Plus Cannondales of course.
Wouldn't it be wild if Claudio Corti (ex Saeco boss) gets back to the ProTour after the 2005 Lampre experiment? And wouldn't it be cool to see Cannondale back in the ProTour again after committing to a Continental team not believing they would get into the ProTour this year as a wild card team?

· Registered
4,459 Posts
philippec said:

A+

Philippe
It's also possible that the only reason the French riders were any good in the years just before the scandal was because they were doped. It will take a little more patience to wait for them to be successful while clean. It's certainly more reasonable to assume one nationality's failure is their fault rather than the fault of the entire outside world.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.