Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Liège - Bastogne - Liège 2013

April 21, 2013

Despite the name, this race actually finishes in Ans near Liège and not in Liège itself, which is the start town. One of the great classics (which was first raced in 1892), for 98 years Liège - Bastogne - Liège (LBL) has always been a challenging course and this year's 99th edition promises much of the same. Many of the greats of cycling have felt compelled to add LBL to thier palmares including Merckx, who won it a record five times, Argentin (4x), Kelly, Hinault, Planckaert and Van Looy just to name a few.

In more recent times Alejandro Valverde has won it twice, Andy Schleck won it in 2009, Phillippe Gilbert beat both Schleck brothers to win it in 2011 and Maxim Iglinsky is the defending champion having won it last year. All four of them will throw thier gauntlets into the ring again this year.

But there is a star-studded line-up this year and no-one seems to be a clear favorite. Sky however is fielding a terrifying team with Froome, Porte, Uran and Henao and must be seen as the strongest team this year.

Trying to spoil the Sky party will be Simon Gerrans (Orica-GreenEdge), Vincenzo Nabali (Astana), Moreno Moser (Cannondale), Samuel Sanchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi), Ryder Hesjedal and Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp), Danial Moreno, fresh of of his Fleche triumph, and Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha) [Edit- Questionable], Nairo Quintana and Rui Costa (Movistar), Pierre Rolland, who just won the Circuit Sarthe, and Alberto Contador (Saxo-Tinkoff) and Thomas De Gendt (Vacansoleil-DCM) - perhaps an upset by Andy Schleck (RadioShack Leopard Trek), who appears to be coming back on to some form?

Given the depth of the field, and the absence of both Sagan and Cancellara, it's very hard to pick a winner for this one, so I'll take a WAG and tip that Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) ends the drought for the Italians since Di Luca's win in 2007 and takes this one in a nail-biter.
The rest of the podium? Somebody from Sky and Valverde.

Startlist:

Startlist Lige - Bastogne - Lige 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Race Profile:

Race Map:

Cunego: My Dream Is To Win Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

Valverde Receives Good Signs Before Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

The Favorites: Valverde, Nibali men to beat at Liege?Bastogne?Liege

Contador Confirmed For Flèche Wallonne And Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

Costa Has High Hopes For Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

Belgium Nears Worst Classics Crisis Since 1945 | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Liège - Europcar - Arashiro remplace Voeckler

Pozzovivo Out Of Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Liège - Pozzovivo forfait

Schleck: Liège Is Not Easy When You?re Not 100 Per Cent | Cyclingnews.com

Police Question Riders Over Liège-Bastogne-Liège Littering | Cyclingnews.com

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Kind of like the Paris-Roubaix race :p ?!

Lars Boom?

Dan Martin?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I thought Sagan skipped Paris-Roubaix in order to recover for the Ardennes classics (Amstel, Fleche, LBL)?

I'm going to be at LBL this year, so it would be cool to see him for 2-3 seconds.:D

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought Sagan skipped Paris-Roubaix in order to recover for the Ardennes classics (Amstel, Fleche, LBL)?
He's not on the startlist that I've seen, but may well be a late entry. Don't know if there is a cut-off date for that kind of thing.

If he's there, that would clearly change the look of the race.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Sagan at LBL this year

"Fleche definitely Sagan’s last Classic of season

Cannondale have indicated that Peter Sagan will ride the Fleche Wallone for the first time in his career but that he has no plans to take part in Liege-Bastogne-Liege regardless of the result." - Cyclingnews

Sagan To Take In Fleche Wallone Before Taking A Break | Cyclingnews.com

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I'm going to be at LBL this year, so it would be cool to see him for 2-3 seconds.:D
Sadly, looks like Sagan will be skipping Liège - Bastogne - Liège this year in favor of the Fleche Wallonne.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In light of results at the Fleche, perhaps some additional thoughts on Liège - Bastogne - Liège:

Henao is hot right now and is probably Sky's best shot at the podium.
Andy Schleck didn't light up the Fleche but seems to be regaining some form - enough for an upset at Liège - Bastogne - Liège?
Valverde and Gilbert are hotting up as well.
Rodriguez is hovering and demands respect in any race he enters.

Lots to chew on...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
In light of results at the Fleche, perhaps some additional thoughts on Liège - Bastogne - Liège:

Henao is hot right now and is probably Sky's best shot at the podium.
Andy Schleck didn't light up the Fleche but seems to be regaining some form - enough for an upset at Liège - Bastogne - Liège?
Valverde and Gilbert are hotting up as well.
Rodriguez is hovering and demands respect in any race he enters.

Lots to chew on...
Andy is still too far away. Valverde and Gilbert are good bets, especially with Sagan out. It's a very different race than Fleche, could see different riders coming out for it.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Gilbert hasn't really delivered thus far for me (or BMC), so I am reluctant to go out on limb for him again. Given that, I am going with Nibali. Here are my other favorites:

Nibali (who i place a little higher than everone else)
Gilbert
Martin
Moser
Quintana
Kwiaktowski
Froome
Porte

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Alright; My crazy pick for this Sunday: Kevin Bacon

Just remember; You read it here first :D !

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Litter-bugs beware!

Riders suspected of littering last year may not be allowed to ride this year.

An environmental organization is seeking to bar some of the top riders in the peloton from riding in LBL based on film evidence of their littering during last years race.

"IAM Cycling veteran Sébastien Hinault had a balanced view of the situation. “Without being an environmentalist, it drives me mad when I see riders throwing bidons and wrappers into the ditch – cycling is a sport that takes place in nature and it’s up to us to give a good image,” Hinault told L’Équipe. “But now I also think that the steps taken by some environmentalists are a bit radical and lacking in dialogue.” - Cyclingnews.com

A game-changer from out of left field!

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Riders suspected of littering last year may not be allowed to ride this year.

An environmental organization is seeking to bar some of the top riders in the peloton from riding in LBL based on film evidence of their littering during last years race.

"IAM Cycling veteran Sébastien Hinault had a balanced view of the situation. “Without being an environmentalist, it drives me mad when I see riders throwing bidons and wrappers into the ditch – cycling is a sport that takes place in nature and it’s up to us to give a good image,” Hinault told L’Équipe. “But now I also think that the steps taken by some environmentalists are a bit radical and lacking in dialogue.” - Cyclingnews.com

A game-changer from out of left field!

I'll admit; That's one thing I learned in the early '70's thanks to the hippie liberals that I proudly maintain as a value I exercise and teach to this day: Don't litter.

That said; I often cringe when I see riders pealing away a wrapper and simply chucking it into the wind when they're eating. I always ask myself, "Why can't they put said wrapper in a rear pocket?"

Bidons are a little different in that, if thrown where fans are gathered, will almost definitely be picked up as a souvenir. With the exception of the ones being thrown in accessible locations.

Phil Liggett has commented that a crew comes in behind the peleton and does trash pick-up.

At the USA Pro Challenge last year there were specific marked spots where riders could chuck their bidons. Maybe they can do that in Europe?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.