Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WOW! What a race. Everybody had a go. Racing at it's best. I mean there was sooo much that happened in the last five minutes. I just don't remember seeing a race this exciting.

I signed for cycling.tv last night and I just don't know why I waited this long. 5 stars for the service.

Results - 262 km

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse D’Epargne-Illes Balears 6.21.32 (41.202 km/h)
2 Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quick Step - Innergetic
3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
4 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile Team
5 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank
6 Martin Perdiguero M.Angel (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems
7 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC
8 Christopher Horner (USA) Davitamon - Lotto
9 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 0.04
10 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.07
11 Andrey Kashechkin (Kaz) Liberty Seguros - Würth Team 0.12
12 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Caisse D’Epargne-Illes Balears 0.24
13 David Etxebarria (Spa) Liberty Seguros - Würth Team 0.28
14 Oscar Freire (Spa) Rabobank 0.29
15 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0.31
16 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas
17 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Team Milram
18 Karsten Kroon (Ned) Team CSC
19 Alessandro Ballan (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
20 Thomas Dekker (Ned) Rabobank
21 Igor Astarloa (Spa) Barloworld
22 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval - Prodir 0.45
23 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0.47
24 Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.51
25 Pedro Arreitunandia (Spa) Barloworld 0.57

Great job everybody. Awesome job Boogerd!!! I'm still seeing stars from all the cycling superstars that had a go at this race.

francois

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Wow is right!!! SIMPLY GREAT RACING!!! Best of 2006 so far!!! Can't wait to pre-order the DVD on World Cycling Productions.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
And, let us crown our new ProTour leader: Alejandro Valverde

Looking at the calendar coming up with San Sebastian, Zurich, etc. I really think that the term 'all rounder' will point to 'The Invincible' and not Boonen.

Put me down for Valverde winning the ProTour title, as he'll finish on the podium in at least one HC.GT this year.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
How 'bout American Chris Horner? Top 10 finish! Good for him.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Did you all see Gilberto Simoni suffering up the last climb?? I didn't think that was him because he was putting a lot of effort in but sure enough that was the Saunier rider that was in the final selection. Gibo finished 45 seconds behind Cunego and a little over half a minute behind DiLuca and Basso.

·
Banned
608 Posts
fornaca68 said:
How 'bout American Chris Horner?
I'm not a big Horner fan, but he has got to be super happy with that performance. One of the most prestigious one days in the sport and he's there at the end, mixing it up with the big boys.

This sort of puts Danielson's performance in perspective. Sure he had a good day in the U.S. yesterday, but the guys he is going up against in the Giro, Cunego, Basso, Di Luca, Simoni, are all there at the end of one of the hardest races on the calendar. The Giro is looking good.

·
Banned
608 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Gibo finished 45 seconds behind Cunego and a little over half a minute behind DiLuca and Basso.
That is a great show by Simoni. He is usually not the rider for a long one day race. If he was there at the end it means he is in great form for the Giro.

·
Registered
192 Posts
unai said:
the green bullet is on fire!
like an Agatha Chrsitie detective story with mutliple "suspects", almost everyone could be the killer, so many dramatic plot changes.

Wonderful race, but Boonen is still "da man" of the spring season for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Kinda funny how Boogerd got away from the group. I figure everyone was so shocked he actually attacked, they couldn't respond! :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Best one of the season.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
il sogno said:
Kinda funny how Boogerd that got away from the group. I figure everyone was so shocked he actually attacked, they couldn't respond! :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Best one of the season.
Boogerd let it all hang out. I am happy for him. He raced like we've never seen him before as Sherwin said. His effort was the best of many, many great efforts today.

So many folks gave it their all to snatch the win. I don't remember seeing such a competitive race.

francois

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
francois said:
Boogerd let it all hang out. I am happy for him. He raced like we've never seen him before as Sherwin said. His effort was the best of many, many great efforts today.

So many folks gave it their all to snatch the win. I don't remember seeing such a competitive race.

francois
Yeah, he really did let it all hang out. I wish he would race like this more often. Man, that last climb looked hard!

G

·
Damn, was Valverde strong or what! He flew by for the win and didn't even look tired. It was kind of like watching Boonen, when he just blows everyone off his wheel in the sprint, except AV came from behind. He made it look so easy!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
awesome!

and bravo to Boogered. didn't win, finished top 5 but did it by trying to win. Far more panache than wheelsucking into 3rd. was great to see him out on the hunt. chase group though with all heads of state didn't in-fight enough to let them stay away. The Green Bullet, man what a jump at the end. Made Bettini look slow and nice finish by Cunego. Great racing, alas now my Classics are over and I'll go into a funk!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
francois said:

francois
I think Boogert didn't ride very smart as usual. It's inconceivable to me why he would try to pull out a lead when going downhill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts