Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what all you folks in fixed gear/SS land have experienced for
the lifespan of a single speed freewheel. I've had nothing but bad luck with the last three lasting about a total of less than 2 months each...they're not the highest quality (Shimano or Surly) but it gets frustrating. 10 mile daily commute with some hills shouldn't blow out a cassette in 2 months, should it?

advice on longer lasting freewheels? White Ind?

· Registered
118 Posts
I have had the same problem with Shimano. My last one died after a month of not even that heavy use (the cog didn't wear out -- the internal pawls went, meaning you could pedal all day but the bike wasn't moving). The one before that lasted two months.

I can't see spending huge bucks on one of those really nice ones, because even if the internals keep living the cog itself is going to wear out quickly. I would like something I can count on for 3-4 months of regular use before replacing, without it breaking the bank. I'd like the internals to last at least as long as the cog.

I'd also be happy to hear any suggestions of reasonably priced freewheel's people have had good experiences with.

There doesn't seem to be anything between the cheap $16 Shimano/ACS freewheels and the $90 White models. Or is there?

· duh...
9,749 Posts
In general, SS FWs suck. Big time. Esp if you get them wet or ride in dirty conditions. The sole exception is the White ENO, but be prepared to spend, it's the Chris King of FWs. It has the potential to last forever, since you can replace the bearing and toothed part (supposedly). Surly makes a FW??

· Registered
19,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could be wrong..

FatTireFred said:
In general, SS FWs suck. Big time. Esp if you get them wet or ride in dirty conditions. The sole exception is the White ENO, but be prepared to spend, it's the Chris King of FWs. It has the potential to last forever, since you can replace the bearing and toothed part (supposedly). Surly makes a FW??

the second FW may not have been Surly...I've been buying too many bike parts to keep track of it all....

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Anecdote: When I got my first fixie about six years ago, I put a Shimano freewheel on the flipflop, and told myself that I was just going to ride it that way until I got used to the bike's handling. Well, hesitation and laziness made it so that I never got around to flipping it over to the fixed cog until about a month later when the freewheel's pawls siezed up on me and rendered the thing useless. After I flipped the wheel I never went back, so in a way, it was a cheap freewheel that finally got me to ride fixed. Had I put on a nice White Industries FW, I might still be coasting!

Bottom line: buy 'em cheap by the dozen, or buy one good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.