Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I may have the opportunity to buy my neighbor's Specialized Tarmac; a big upgrade for me. I know he takes good care of his equipment, but I have concerns about buying a used carbon bike not knowing if carbon can fatigue over the miles. The bike has several thousand miles on it, mostly group rides and criteriums. It looks good and clean, but if there is no obvious damage to any part of the frame, should I worry that there could be any hidden damage or stress cracks?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
jpconcord said:
It looks good and clean, but if there is no obvious damage to any part of the frame, should I worry that there could be any hidden damage or stress cracks?
You probably shouldn't worry about it but there is no easy way to tell so if "probably" isn't good enough and its going to bug you, don't buy the bike.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
I'll go out on a limb

If it is fatigue life you are worried about, than don't Worry.

Unless you flat out think you neighbor would lie or try to deceive you, than is no reason for concern.

There is no chance that bike is "fatigued" due to normal riding. NONE, ZIP, ZERO!

·
Registered
383 Posts
If there's a creak/break in the frame, there's a good chance the same break would happen in other frame materials as well. Carbon is usually pretty tough, it just melts and explodes thats all :p

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
If the bike fits and you like it, look it over as best you can (or bring it to your LBS to check out). If nothing is found, give the man your $$ and go ride! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you are concerned about carbon fibre lifespan, you had better not fly on the new Boeing 787.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
KAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBBOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooommmMMMMMM!!!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
CleavesF said:
KAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBBOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooommmMMMMMM!!!
Don't use carbon fiber-otherwise you're bike will end up like this after exposure to sunlight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts