Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mtb racer using the road bike as a training tool. Always used one set of wheels year round for my chipseal roads that have a lot of rolling and loooong steep climbs. Springtime winds can get pretty nasty.

My current set is getting older and this winter did a number on the sidewall, and they're destined to be the bad weather/trainer set. It's a Kinlin 23mm wide rim set up tubeless with Sapim Race spokes on BHS hubs. A good all around wheelset. Relatively light, not flexy. Tires are Schwalbe Pro One 25c or Sector 28C. Planning on sticking with 25C on the wider rim.

Any suggestions for a second new wide set for my needs? I'm 165 pounds geared up, no disc and no plans to, run 11 speed (if that matters for hub selection) with traditional QR. Usually have wheels built locally by trusted builder for decades but am not opposed to pre-built if the price is right.

Back to BHS for something similar? Find an oem set on eBay from the likes of Giant?

I don't need some deep dish ENVE or Reynolds 50mm carbon blingy set even though I get QBP sourced at dealer cost. Simply don't need to spend $$$ for a mtb training "tool." Off the top of my head I'm thinking the $500 price range whether brand new or mailorder sale or dealer cost.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,747 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winter did a number on them, meaning, lots of sand and dirt on the braking surface from a few mega long distance rides with long steep hills. A few winters of such.

Looking at all the options it seems mine are indeed hard to beat. Less than 1500 grams, good spoke count, wide, simple: Kinlin XC279 - 23mm wide - 28mm deep (BHS C472w)
I'd have to go up in price for some SLR carbon Giant wheels. Thanks to all for the input.

Build another set of the same thing. They're good inexpensive hubs and rims.

How did winter ruin the rims?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts