Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a roadie forum, but there are a lot of mtb-commuter conversions so maybe y'all can help me with my question or two. My energy sink (mtb) has steadily evolved into an urban commuter. I've been thinking about moustache bars, but wonder if my circa 1998 Deore LX rapidfire shifter/brake levers would be **ergonomically correct**. Note that I'm looking at an mtb specific moustache (from Ben's Bike in Milwaukee) so it will fit mtb components.

Also - an LBS told me that reusing my old rapidfire setup might not be that helpful since he said that rapidfires typically break down after 6/8/10 years. I guess maybe it's a ratchet mechanism failure(?). Anyway - any experience with rapidfires getting old? Although mine were bought in 1998, they haven't seen much mud, and not even much dust since commuting began a couple years ago... so not sure how to plan for that one.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
They should last

a long time. I would not hesitate to use them if they fit on the bars. If one did fail it could easily be replaced
with one from ebay. I do not understand the LBS point of veiw....

They could fail, so buy new stuff now?

Me I would ride what I have until it breaks then figure out what I was going to do, Esp.
on a commuter. Personally I would stick friction shifters on the downtubes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts