Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
For all of you Hummer-haters, did ya catch him talking about "Vel ve de" (I Tivo'ed it, its quite accurate). No correction, he just left it out there like a big matza ball when they went to commercial with Roll looking like he wanted to bust out laughing. Not even close to Vandevelde.

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
522 Posts
Hummer about as had as Trautwig, but in a different way. Bring back Kirsten Gum - at least she and the twins were mighty easy on the eye.

I've noticed over the years that Phil is getting more and more confused when it comes to things like, who the rider is, what mountain range they're in, etc. I will say he's excellent at filling the time, esp on those boring flat stages.

Paul's the one I can live without - I just don't find that he really has anything at all to say. Ever notice how he always repeats the last thing he hears from Phil when he takes over?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I saw some non phil and paul races this year and I am scared of the TDF without them! Its that filler time that I worry about. On a long stage, if nothing else, phil and paul are old enough to have plenty of stories and comments to fill that time. Imagine, if you will, john Eustice, or Frankie filling that 5 hours! Now Bobke I can live with in the future, but only as a color guy (take pauls place not phil).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
+++111

If ain't Phil and Paul, then we are gonna be hurting. They ain't great, but the best we've got.

I also vote to bring back Kirsten Gum. I think she does some kind of hunting and fishing show over on another network. I'd take her hunting...............

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
bigmig19 said:
I saw some non phil and paul races this year and I am scared of the TDF without them! Its that filler time that I worry about. On a long stage, if nothing else, phil and paul are old enough to have plenty of stories and comments to fill that time. Imagine, if you will, john Eustice, or Frankie filling that 5 hours! Now Bobke I can live with in the future, but only as a color guy (take pauls place not phil).
yes imagine if we had the endure seconds of silence.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Mike T. said:
Did I hear Liggett say, twice yesterday, that the riders were racing through the Alps? Gee and I thought it was the Pyrenees :rolleyes:

I like when he drags out his "when you hit the brakes in the rain you actually accelerate" take on physics.

Harmon and Kelly on Eurosport are considerably better, mainly because of Kelly. I even prefer the guys on cycling.tv

G

·
Dwayne Barry said:
I like when he drags out his "when you hit the brakes in the rain you actually accelerate" take on physics.
Yeah, a whack in the head with a newspaper for that one. Though, I must admit, when you are going fast in the rain and hit the brakes - the instant panic makes it feel like you are accelerating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I cannot imagine thoroughly enjoying any race coverage or discussions without Paul & Phil, and agree it would be nice to have Kirsten back. Bob R. is OK by himself but in my opinion only shines with Paul & Phil. It is silly but funny to me how Paul will repeat or add something like "completely and utterly" to whatever Phil says, and it does appear recently that Phil may have used aluminum cookware too often. But they both come up with such unique stuff that we would sorely miss them I hope they continue for many years.

"When the peloton thunders thru a small French town like this, it is quite reminiscent of the annual Wildebeest migration in South Africa"

"I sincerely believe that when Ricco attacks like this that the other riders in fact become scared"

·
Registered
449 Posts
bigmig19 said:
For all of you Hummer-haters, did ya catch him talking about "Vel ve de" (I Tivo'ed it, its quite accurate). No correction, he just left it out there like a big matza ball when they went to commercial with Roll looking like he wanted to bust out laughing. Not even close to Vandevelde.
He said Ve De Ve, referring to what the Garmin guys call Vandevelde. He picked it up from the 9 stage when they had the Garmin car miked.

Go back and check it out. Tivo guy.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So Hummer was using the "ve de ve" as a nickname, my bad (im a DVR guy). I thought it was kind of weird, but with his rep for pronunciations, it was very very funny at the time. As a side note, Paul still says "completely and utterly" too much, as well as "beast of a man", but he has cut down on "arrears" and "penultimate". Still a lot of "heads of state" by both though.

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
522 Posts
bigmig19 said:
So Hummer was using the "ve de ve" as a nickname, my bad (im a DVR guy). QUOTE]

Perhaps it was cut out of primetime, but in the live coverage, VDV's director Matt White was calling him VDV as he rode up Hautecam...

·
Registered
960 Posts
bigmig19 said:
Its that filler time that I worry about.
Don't worry about finding stuff to fill time... We'll just let Michael Ball tag every transition with the Rock Racing Logos... ala the ToC. Jeez that was almost as annoying during the coverage as the Saab ads are during the commercial breaks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yeah, im gonna have to go ahead and review that, Um kay. Great. I do recall now that you say it about the VDV thing because I believe Phil commented that ALL australians give nicknames to people. Reminds of J. Belushi giving the pledges there Delta Chi names.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yes, "a man by the name of" is definitely right up there. The funniest part is when cyclists (or former cyclists) referr to people over 6 foot tall and more than 150lbs as "a beast". Outside of cycling, the likes of Voight, Boonen, Hincapie are just skinny guys that are not short. I got the impression years ago that these guys were 6-5 225 the way they talk about them. There was a picture of Cadel on his website standing by his pool and he looks like an 8 year old.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.