Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't these guys watch the same thing we do? Liggets like Thor is celebrating getting jersey back. No he's not, he's protesting McEwen didn't hold his line! WTH is up with these guys? I can see it plain as day as I'm sure many of you can. I wonder if McEwen will get regulated. Good to see Thor taking a page out of Hincapie's book.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
yeah, it didn't seem to me that Thor was celebrating the yellow jersey by pointing to Robbie, not "pumping the air with joy." Robbie looked like he moved across, but it didn't look bad enough to get regulated-he was in enough in front and there was still room on the left-not like he hooked him into the barriers.

I wonder if Phil's brain is frozen after trying to think of things to say for 3+ hours on non-action-how many different things can you say about guys going back to the team car to get bottle? Cycling must be the toughest sport in the world to do play-by-play, cause frankly there's not a whole lot of minute-by-minute action until either the run in on flat stages or last climb on hilly stages. Even Paul Sherwin doing color commentary ends up saying mostly empty stuff-"yesterday he said the tour had been around for 100 years because it was popular" and Thor would likely want to work hard to try to keep they jersey. But today he did pull out the hammer to the forehead analogy-nice...

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I'm no fan of Robbie, but I think it looked worse than it really was. Thor didn't seem to bent out of shape about it.

Don't complain too much--- I miss the OLN crew. We have full live coverage over here, but it is rather dry and pedantic. I've seen more colorful golf announcers than the TV2 crew.

stevesbike said:
yeah, it didn't seem to me that Thor was celebrating the yellow jersey by pointing to Robbie, not "pumping the air with joy." Robbie looked like he moved across, but it didn't look bad enough to get regulated-he was in enough in front and there was still room on the left-not like he hooked him into the barriers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Agreed! Thor had his hand thrust toward McEwen, not "up in the air in celebration".

I respect all the years Liggett has been covering the Tour, but sometimes I swear he is watching some other bike race other than the Tour he is commentating.

Today he made a comment about how good Julich was looking when the camera was on Zabriskie (close, even!)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Age is starting to show itself. Instead of Liggetisms they'll need to be re-named:

Rumor-liggetitis.

Even Paul padded/expanded his phrase about touching the brakes & losing 10-15 places to 150 places. Wow, touch the brakes & effectively go from 1st to last place.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
heliskyr said:
Agreed! Thor had his hand thrust toward McEwen, not "up in the air in celebration".

I respect all the years Liggett has been covering the Tour, but sometimes I swear he is watching some other bike race other than the Tour he is commentating.

Today he made a comment about how good Julich was looking when the camera was on Zabriskie (close, even!)

Eurosport called it that way too at first -

# 17:35 That said, replays show McEwen maybe cutting up Hushovd a little so maybe the Norwegian's reaction was anger: he blames Robbie for his foot coming out of the pedal.
# 17:34 Hushovd actually showed remarkable strength - his foot came out of the pedal, but he managed to ride one legged over the final ten or so metres to secure he kept yellow.
# 0 km It looked as if Hushovd shaked a fist at McEwen at the finish line, but on a second look, he was actually celebrating the fact that his rival beat Boonen, and therefore returned himself in yellow!
# 0 km Boonen managed to get second from nowhere after Hushovd lost his footing. Thor look third, Freire fourth, Bennati fifth...

And Thor forgives Robbie..

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto919387.shtml

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mosovich said:
Don't these guys watch the same thing we do? Liggets like Thor is celebrating getting jersey back. No he's not, he's protesting McEwen didn't hold his line! WTH is up with these guys? I can see it plain as day as I'm sure many of you can. I wonder if McEwen will get regulated. Good to see Thor taking a page out of Hincapie's book.

dude if you watch the over head neither held their line so i imagine the judges ruled no one at fault because they both moved in towards each other ...thor may have been upset but i think the rub wasn't intentional and i think it was also (not to diminish robbies role ) thors fault as well

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
I think Phil is just very bad at reading people and reading the action. He has been doing this for a long time.

Example: if you have the 1995 TDF where Lance Armstrong was on Motorola. His teamate Fabio Carsatelli (sp) died earlier in the race, Lance went on to win the 18th stage on a solo breakaway.

The last 200yds or so Lance was looking to the sky and pointing upwards in homage to Fabio and Phil Ligget kept saying over and over, "And here comes Lance Armstrong, pointing his finger up saying 'I'm number one'.

Every time I wach that scene I'm just amazed.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Not a SINGLE complaint here...Phil can keep being Phil and calling it spotty or not. Why?
1) 15-20 years ago lucky to get weekly recap on CBS and daily paragraph in the paper. This sux. Why can't I be in France? I found out about LeMond winning the time trial in an after thought article in the Monday AM paper.
2) 5-10 years ago was lucky to get nitely 30 min recap on ESPN and Sunday CBS 1 hour coverage. I got to actually see daily recap and semi-see Lance win his first. At the time I felt like there was a God.
3) 3 years ago I had no OLN and I hated my friends with LIVE Tour coverage...LIVE?!!! WHAT?!?! God has forgotten about me.
4) Present...every day live Tour coverage...repeat that three to ten times to yourself. More as needed.

I KNOW I'm not alone in the above...Phil rules and hearing him everyday, call it right or wrong but hearing his excitement as they barrel for the line is heaven.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
phil and paul are painfully bad commentators.

Ligget seems to be the big man of Anglophone cycling only by default - nobody else showed any interest before him.

it's all too obvious that Sherwin only does it for the big events, seeing as he struggles for names, and often mistakes riders.

speaking of names, both BUTCHER the pronunciation of all of them, bar the Anglophone racers.

maybe one day the english speaking world will have commentators on a similar level to it's cyclists.

one can only hope.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess many of you are too new to cycling

First off, Phil knows he makes mistakes when spinning off comment after comment, and as many sports journalists do, he has a rule that almost all errors should just be ignored and you move on. He has said this in interviews. So if he mis-names a rider, or says something he instantly realizes isn't right or even stupid, he will rarely correct himself and just keeps going. So get a grip people, he knows.

Next, being a cycling commentator isn't easy, as person after person has tried and failed, or tried and sucked. Most former cyclists are horrible at it. We are so lucky to have Phil and Paul who not only have the ability, but are former cyclists. Am I the only one who, if watching the 8:00 Expanded Version with Bob and Al, miss the comments of Phil/Paul from the live broadcast. Al is however a very experienced broadcaster and I have no issue with him, and I like a splash of Bobke for color.

When Floyd missed his prologue start, if you didn't instantly say to yourself "wow, just like Delgado in 1988", then you haven't been watching long enough to know the good and bad of cycling television. Nobody but Phil could have done as well with the 1986 Tour with Lemond, or the 1989 Tour where Phil comments made it a joy to watch that final stage.

Side note: the guys at Cycling.tv are pretty good.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
yeah, i guess I am pretty new to cycling. i've only been following it since the '86 tour. :rolleyes:

BTW - delgado was late to the prologue in 1989 NOT 1988 :wink:

PS Phil is still pretty mediocre if you compare him to the like of Michiel Wuyts, or even Mart Smeets for that matter.

stevecaz said:
First off, Phil knows he makes mistakes when spinning off comment after comment, and as many sports journalists do, he has a rule that almost all errors should just be ignored and you move on. He has said this in interviews. So if he mis-names a rider, or says something he instantly realizes isn't right or even stupid, he will rarely correct himself and just keeps going. So get a grip people, he knows.

Next, being a cycling commentator isn't easy, as person after person has tried and failed, or tried and sucked. Most former cyclists are horrible at it. We are so lucky to have Phil and Paul who not only have the ability, but are former cyclists. Am I the only one who, if watching the 8:00 Expanded Version with Bob and Al, miss the comments of Phil/Paul from the live broadcast. Al is however a very experienced broadcaster and I have no issue with him, and I like a splash of Bobke for color.

When Floyd missed his prologue start, if you didn't instantly say to yourself "wow, just like Delgado in 1988", then you haven't been watching long enough to know the good and bad of cycling television. Nobody but Phil could have done as well with the 1986 Tour with Lemond, or the 1989 Tour where Phil comments made it a joy to watch that final stage.

Side note: the guys at Cycling.tv are pretty good.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
It must be a nightmare to be a commentator this year. Several of the teams all have that same color of blue in their kits - Disco, Gerolsteiner, Milram, Quickstep. With the helmets and glasses, it's got to be impossible to pick out the individual riders in a frenetic sprint. Even when they pull back, it's hard to read the riders numbers to see who they are.

Granted Phil and Paul reissue a lot of their phrases, "suitcase of courage" or "spot of bother" anyone?, but I miss them when they are not there. At least we have coverage!

·
Registered
417 Posts
well

I am glad phil and paul are doing it---it would suck not to have them. If anyone needs proof of this please tune in for the "primetime coverage" where al and bob stumble over each other for hours-----just painful:mad2: A lot of people here have favorites, and that's fine---but think about what it would be like without them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.