Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think Phil is saying (and I agree with Phil), "you're at the twilight of your career, why risk getting caught at this point."

I think Beltran can't even finish a mountain stage without the juice. He did it for a reason, and it wasn't to win a stage -- he did it to get through each day. Look at Maggie Backstedt yesterday, couldn't even make the time cut on a non-mountain stage.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
bas said:
ligget said on beltran:

"his career is near the end, he's 38 yrs old, why bother now?"

phil - he's been doing it for YEARS

I'm pretty sure phil's a made man. there's no way he's letting slip what he knows of trikki's (or anybody else's) past now just because the winds have changed.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
tron said:
phil - he's been doing it for YEARS

I thought he was saying that he has been cycling for years. Phil is not a master linguist. Paul is not much better (he uses resplendent way too much).[/QUOTE]

I would say pretty consistently over the years he has acted as if he is either willfully ignorant about doping or just really isn't that smart. There are obvious reasons for why bother? Such as: he's been getting away with it for the last decade, he wants to be able to do the job he was hired to do, he's not too different from an addict, he might still entertain the idea of riding for another year or two so he needs a contract, etc.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Phil is there to call a bike race and add some colorful stories, not to talk about doping and the other ills of the sport. Also, unlike the myriad posters here who absolutely KNOW for sure who the dopers are just from watching them on TV, Phil can't make accusations without having actual proof, or he risks being sued for libel.

You want to talk doping with Phil, find him in the pub after the race, where I'm sure he'll have an opinion. But on air, he is only ever going to be professional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.