Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some used Mavic Cosmic SL's and there is very light corrosion on the spokes, not rust just a little rough and in some places with a somewhat milky white color.

Any idea of how to treat this issue with out ripping the black paint off of the spokes?

i am also afraid if i use something too abrasive it will just rust the next time they get wet.

Sorry i don't have a better pic of the wheel as of now. View attachment 283121

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Try 0000 (quadruple zero) steel wool with a light touch. Orient the wheel so the tiny broken-off pieces of this stuff fall to the ground, not into the hubs. The 0000 steel wool is used by some detailers to get hard-water droplet stains off automobile glass, so the chances of scratching the coating on the spokes are small if you go easy on the pressure.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I agree with trying a non-abrasive cleaner first. If a citrus type cleaner or similar doesn't work, maybe a car cleaner/wax like Turtle Wax, which is designed to clean without damaging paint. If those spokes are actually painted, steel wool, no matter how fine, will remove some paint. Wim's right about steel wool sometimes being used on glass, but glass is a lot harder than paint, or steel for that matter.

What are those spokes made of? Whitish corrosion is what you see when aluminum oxidizes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with trying a non-abrasive cleaner first. If a citrus type cleaner or similar doesn't work, maybe a car cleaner/wax like Turtle Wax, which is designed to clean without damaging paint. If those spokes are actually painted, steel wool, no matter how fine, will remove some paint. Wim's right about steel wool sometimes being used on glass, but glass is a lot harder than paint, or steel for that matter.
Excellent suggestion to try car polish/cleaners designed for this very application.

·
Registered
23,043 Posts
How old are the wheels? Do you ride near the ocean?

I wouls try CLR first. Good for removing rust and oxidization. I'm sure that, with some of the suggestions above will remove it. But then what will you do to prevent it from coming back?
You might want to get some automotive clear coat spray paint. Mask off the rest of the wheel, and give the spokes a coating.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
How old are the wheels? Do you ride near the ocean?

I wouls try CLR first. Good for removing rust and oxidization. I'm sure that, with some of the suggestions above will remove it. But then what will you do to prevent it from coming back?
You might want to get some automotive clear coat spray paint. Mask off the rest of the wheel, and give the spokes a coating.
Rustoleum spray paint.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
If the corrosion is white those must be aluminum spokes.

I just bought some Meguiar's cleaner wax for my car. Should work great; not hurt the paint and seal the spokes with wax so they won't corrode again.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I believe they are aliminum spokes, so it's corrosion, but not properly rust. I would not hit them with steel wool; maybe a little scotchbrite. You could wipe them down with some Boeshield on a rag or just wax them. Try not to sweat on them.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I believe they are aliminum spokes, so it's corrosion, but not properly rust. I would not hit them with steel wool; maybe a little scotchbrite. You could wipe them down with some Boeshield on a rag or just wax them. Try not to sweat on them.
According to the company website they are steel spokes. I think what he's seeing is weathered/oxidized paint. I'd start with the car polish, and I bet that will do it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
You might want to try some Brasso. It's excellent at polishing & removing corrosion & stains.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Not sure I would want to use Brasso on spokes unless they were raw metal. Any clear coat or anodizing would probably get taken off with the stuff.
Neither one will be harmed. 1st, it's extremely unlikely that there's any clear coat on the spokes & even if there was the Brasso won't hurt it. Anodozing is an extremely tough coating & Brasso wont hurt that either.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I bought a pair of used Campy Helium's for my spare bike. I only rode the wheels 15 times in one year. I noticed the spokes looked a little funny. When I ran my hand along the blade they felt rough.

I ended up breaking 4 spokes on the rear wheel in two ride span. The spokes broke in the center, I've never seen that. I took the wheels to three different bike shops. The last one I went to the mechanic asked if the bike was stored in a shed with pool chemicals. I said no but started to think about what happened to them with the previous owner.

I couldn't find a spoke kit for those old wheels. Branford was able to send me some individual spokes, slightly different, but they worked. When I replaced all the spokes I noticed several that were slightly different, so I guess the previous had problems and I got spoked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.