Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old school Mavic GEL 280 36 hole and want to build it up. I've got an old school campy record 36 hole already laced to a never used Campy Victory Strada. I was thinking of maybe just switching rims (I think the Campy Rim is probably around 400 grams - that's just a guess though) to have a light front race wheel but then figured maybe I'll get a newer, very light front hub --- and just sell the other wheel. Any recommendations? What spokes would you use - I guess I can get away with light stuff on a front wheel and 36 hole should make it plenty strong. FWIW - I'm 6' 3" and about 183 pounds.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Record, what else?

ridewt said:
What spokes would you use - I guess I can get away with light stuff on a front wheel and 36 hole should make it plenty strong. FWIW - I'm 6' 3" and about 183 pounds.
14-15-14 spokes. Great thing about 36 hole rims, is that they are actually lighter than 32s because of the extra four spokes add so much strength.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
ridewt said:
I've got an old school Mavic GEL 280 36 hole and want to build it up. I've got an old school campy record 36 hole already laced to a never used Campy Victory Strada. I was thinking of maybe just switching rims (I think the Campy Rim is probably around 400 grams - that's just a guess though) to have a light front race wheel but then figured maybe I'll get a newer, very light front hub --- and just sell the other wheel. Any recommendations? What spokes would you use - I guess I can get away with light stuff on a front wheel and 36 hole should make it plenty strong. FWIW - I'm 6' 3" and about 183 pounds.
I was going to tell you that you're probably better off running this as a front wheel, but you've already figured that one out...

If you want light, go Record/Dura Ace. If you're looking for an older Campy hubset, check out www.campyonly.com

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts