Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a light for my road bike. I don't do much night riding, but sometimes last year I started out late and was coming back in the dark. I sure hate not seeing what's in front of me. So, I want a light that attaches to the handlebars and only needs a short life, I'd like one that easily detaches. Inexpensive would be a plus? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
stevend said:
I'm looking for a light for my road bike. I don't do much night riding, but sometimes last year I started out late and was coming back in the dark. I sure hate not seeing what's in front of me. So, I want a light that attaches to the handlebars and only needs a short life, I'd like one that easily detaches. Inexpensive would be a plus? Any suggestions?
Check out Cateye. If they don't have something that fits the bill I'd be suprised.

·
nothing
120 Posts
I've used the cateye HL-EL200 opticube. It's small and has a quick release clamp. Wont fit larger diameter handlebars though. Costs about $25. It isn't super bright, but it's good enough to get you home when you get caught out late.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I temporarily used the Cat Eye EL300 w/ 400 candlepower, but like Planet Bike's 1200 candle power model much better. Planet Bike has a lifetime warranty, is water resistant, takes AA & can slide off via it's rail mount. The whole package has 3x the illuminating power of the Cat Eye, at a third of the price. Comes with a taillight too! 25% of profits go to bike advocacy.

Planet Bike 1200

Imagine, though, what 5000 candle power can do!
Planet Bike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yep, for dusk conditions throw on 2 cheap led lights

performance always seems to have them on sale--niterider, cateye, and a few others--they take AA batteries and last 50+ hours--slip on and off no problem and are small. I think mine was either $14 or $19
if it is really dark--no street lights and poor roads (no shoulder etc) then just get a digital evolution by niterider or go with the dinotte or cateye powerful LED lights (double shot, etc)

definitely more, but why skimp on something that could be critical for safely getting home?
i have the cheapo led for my commute to well lit areas in the winter, the digital evolution for getting into DC, and then my HID for rides in the middle of nowhere (rural, no shoulder, no lights, etc)
jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts