Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
biggunnz22
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was doing some research on improving testosterone levels naturally. First, yes I have been tested and do have low T. Second, I did some injections and wasn't please with some of the side affects which included lots of weight gain and constant hunger. Anyways, I read and also heard Dave Aspery talk about light therapy on "the boys" can increase levels as much as 200 percent. Has anyone tried this? If so did they see any perceived improvement? Clearly this would be N+1 but thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks,

Joe

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Hi all,
Anyways, I read and also heard Dave Aspery talk about light therapy on "the boys" can increase levels as much as 200 percent. Has anyone tried this? If so did they see any perceived improvement?
This is something you should ask your doctor about doing. The one study I've found on light therapy for testosterone was conducted on a paltry 38 men, and none of the publications on it give a clear mechanism for the end results.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
This is something you should ask your doctor about doing. The one study I've found on light therapy for testosterone was conducted on a paltry 38 men, and none of the publications on it give a clear mechanism for the end results.
Well said sir! Without a known mechanism... clearly the jury is still way, way out.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Try tribulus root and testofen extract. They have been know the release free testosterone.

I do a test boost cycle every other season with those 2 extracts.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
I can see how light therapy may possibly have an indirect result, but a direct result sounds far out there.

By indirect result, this is what I mean. During the short winter days, your retinas take in less natural light and you tend to feel depressed and sluggish. By getting out more during mid-day sunlight, your retinas take in more natural light, your mood improves and you have more energy. When you have more energy, you are more active and probably eat healthier and.......well.......you get the idea.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Sounds like a load of crap to me.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
During the short winter days, your retinas take in less natural light and you tend to feel depressed and sluggish.
I thought that was because you need sunlight on your skin in order for your body to manufacture vitamin D which has something to do with your mood. Not anything to do with your retinas.

My doc told me to start taking vitamin D to combat my annual bouts of SAD (loooong dark winters here) and seems to help a bit - although I can't rule out placebo effect...

Or the results of my wife being into her 2nd year with a personal trainer.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I thought that was because you need sunlight on your skin in order for your body to manufacture vitamin D which has something to do with your mood. Not anything to do with your retinas.

My doc told me to start taking vitamin D to combat my annual bouts of SAD (loooong dark winters here) and seems to help a bit - although I can't rule out placebo effect...
Vitamin D helps immune system. When daylight is short, i.e. winter months, less natural vitamin D production in our system and more prone to catching cold. Cold viruses don't go away during summer months, they are around all year long. Supplementing it (D3 to be specific) helps. It sure did for me to keep the cold at bay.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
Vitamin D helps immune system. When daylight is short, i.e. winter months, less natural vitamin D production in our system and more prone to catching cold. Cold viruses don't go away during summer months, they are around all year long. Supplementing it (D3 to be specific) helps. It sure did for me to keep the cold at bay.

This may be true, but I believe SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder) has more to do with how much light your retinas take in, rather than vitamin D absorption.

However, there may indeed be some connection between vitamin D deficiency and low T.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So, did you read the studies that demonstrated Vitamin D supplementation does not reduce colds? Randomized controlled trials. Vitamin C can have an effect on inflammation and immune response, but it too has not demonstrated reduced infections in controlled trials.

You have to be careful when reading correlative studies. They can demonstrate associations. We can then justify the association by identifying plausible physiologic processes to explain our suspicions. However, you need controlled prospective interventional trials to verify causality.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My take on Low T is that there is probably a small portion of the population that actually has a clinical condition. Otherwise, it is a money making scheme.

Most adult males produce less testosterone as they age. This suggests it is a normal process. Having a static definition of Low T, is likely outdated and shortsighted.

Biggunz, I would ask yourself 1) What truly is Low T? 2) Have I been tested more than once before I commit to any therapy? 3) Have I talked to a healthcare professional that will not profit from my Low T? (avoid Low T clinics, and get a second opinion from a board certified Internist)

BTW, the effects you experienced were from testosterone. If you increase your endogenous production 200%, you'll likely experience weight gain (increase in muscle mass) and hunger. This is part of the physiologic effect of the steroid, and not a "side effect". I would call it a direct and intended effect.

What you should be more concerned about are true adverse effects, like increased cardiovascular mortality. Now that is a real bummer of a side effect.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts