Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Light Tubes -- good or just thinner (flat easier)

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  fiscalmd 
#1 ·
I've been using Ritchey and Conti ultra-light tubes and recently had a couple puncture flats. Now I need to stock up on a few tubes. Usually my Conti GP4k do a good job. So go for an ultra light or cheaper/heavier tube? Question is, if something breaks through my tire, will any standard tube stop it, or will it be singing either way, so stick with the light ones?

Anyone try the claimed 49g $5 Forté Road Lunar Lights?

100g Contis are $5 and 75g ultra-lights are $9 (ouch). Performance is out their 75g house brand currently.... open to others, I just have a Performance gift card.

#2 ·
I've run the cheaper lightweight tubes a couple times and always have problems iwth them. For what ends up being like 40 grams total, I don't think its worth it.

Now latex tubes might be worth it. The different rubber is more durable and they're considerably lighter and as a plus, they supposedly roll better. I've never spent the chuck of change necessary to get them though.

#3 ·
I think tire selection also makes difference with lighter tubes.

I used to run lunar light tubes and had few flats but nothing out of ordinary. I had to switch because valves were short for my 24mm depth wheels on my new bike. It defeated the purpose to get valve extenders. I run light conti's and they are fine. Tires are Conti 4000S. I think I got 2 flats last year in 3000 miles or so.

I also run lunar lights on my MTB and had terrible flats on highly technical terrain but I was running 345gr tires which should have been used for fire roads or smooth trails. I still run lunar lights but have 600gr WTBs with beefy sidewalls. I am still holding off on tubeless.

If you could get away with regular valves than try lunar lights.

#10 ·
you know, i've even road a MTB with a rigid fork OFF ROAD for 2 years and didn't die....

funny story, i rode not long ago on my 8 yr old 23lb hardtail. it was nice simple trail and hardly broke a sweat (well, you know what i mean). then comes along 2 guys with brand new matching tricked-out full suspension treks, the full attire, etc. the bikes looked ready for a downhill race and must have weighed over 30lbs! they were both gasping for air... i really wanted to roll my eyes. but to their cause, they both were excited and thought it was a cool run... i think they were done after the single 4 mile lap too...

#11 ·
I have an uber nice full suspension XC race bike (good to have a friend in the bike business), I stink at mtn biking. I'm off the charts on the equipment vs skills department.

Last week I got passed on a rocky downhill by a guy on a completely rigid singlespeed. Then he proceeded to pull away from me on the ensuing flat section and the climb. Ran into him in the parking lot, really cool guy.

Last week I also learned not to go on mtn bike rides with former professional trials riders that weigh 40 pounds less than me. I know I'm not that good on the mtn bike, but that was a serious butt kicking.

#12 ·
I am riding Forte Lunars which weighed in at 50.9/tube w/o the locknut or stem cap. No flats using 700x23 Mich P3R.

On my training wheels I am riding a pair of Forte Ultra Lights which weighed in at 69.2/tube w/o the locknut and stem cap. No flats in two months on the ultra light tubes and Conti GP4000S tires.

FWIW: My Ritchey wheels came with Kenda Kaliente 700x23 with Kenda tubes (made in Taiwan). They weighed 103.7/tube.

I noticed something about the psi retention. Kenda OEM tube only lose 5-10lbs per day, Ultra lights lose 8-12 lbs per day, Lunar lights lose 14-20lbs per day. I do not notice that much of a difference in weight/performance except that the lunar's and ultra's seem softer by the end of the ride since they do lose psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.