Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to build an older steel frame bike. Just wondering what a reliable aluminum clincher that's low maintenance. I have some older bontragers and I don't like them. Noises and flexy. I'd like something the opposite. Inexpensive as well if that is possible all a rounder. I enjoy a good climb from time to time :)

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
You will find oodles of threads in the wheels forum. Mavic Open Pro on Ultegra or 105 hubs is a good reliable option. I am a fan in general of easton wheels, I have a really old circuit set, (today's EA 70 I believe) , that I have ridden the bejesus out of and the rear died only because I mistimed a curb bunny hop and dented the rear rim. I also got some decent miles out of a Performance Titan set before I retired them when I went to Campy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will find oodles of threads in the wheels forum. Mavic Open Pro on Ultegra or 105 hubs is a good reliable option. I am a fan in general of easton wheels, I have a really old circuit set, (today's EA 70 I believe) , that I have ridden the bejesus out of and the rear died only because I mistimed a curb bunny hop and dented the rear rim. I also got some decent miles out of a Performance Titan set before I retired them when I went to Campy.
Thanks hfc,
I will look into Easton rims. What of the Campy rims do you prefer that aren't too spendy? Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Thanks hfc,
I will look into Easton rims. What of the Campy rims do you prefer that aren't too spendy? Thanks for your suggestions!
I used to have a set of Protons that were bomb proof but a royal pain to mount a tire on. I have 2 sets of Zondas and they are really nice wheels. Ive never had any of the Campy rims on custom wheels. Folks from another site I frequent picked up the Ventos not long ago at a really good price from Ribble and they were happy with those. FWIW, I have close to 20 sets of wheels now and I only got one of them new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.