Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first bikepacking trip last month with WAY too much stuff. Took another this week (Mon and Tues) and did a decent job of cutting down, though there`s still room for improvement. This weeks`s trip was a front door to front door loop about half on gravel roads with the remainder mostly highway and a little bit of dirt for good measure. I managed a nice variety of terrain from northern Sierra reservoirs and cow towns to straight up desert. Here`s what it looked like:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On gravel, it gets the job done but tends to wag a bit. Seems to depend a lot on how smooth I am with my line. On pavement, it did great. I was up to over 40 on one steep, smooth grade and it still felt OK, but I passed a bloody piece of roadkill that inspired me to slow it down. On dirt, it just makes the climbing tougher. As to going fast on the dirt, I can`t say- I still have 28 spoke rear wheel, so I was babying it a lot. Last trip we passed a few obstacles engineered to keep ATVs off and let bikes and horses pass- they were a real headache. Keep in mind that I`ve only one time used panniers and they were "toy store" equipment, so I can`t compare between the BOB and a rack/pannier setup.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Looks like a nice trip. When I do the same type of trip, I pack almost no food. I buy food at the destination or eat at a restaurant. Also, I take really minimal off bike clothing. I went for three days and had everything in the pack sack (like what you have) with no additional bags.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, food will be the easiest place to cut now- I`m already bringing minimum clothes and I think the only camping gear I could really leave would be my tent- the other stuff either I would be uncomfortable without or I`d have to replace it with high Dollar equipment and for now I just don`t do it enough to justify that.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Awesome! Sierra Valley, Dog Valley, Prosser ?, 395, Red Rock. . .you hit a lot of area! Did you ride out of Reno and go through Verdi or start up in Truckee? Either way, that's a lot of wandering through some fun areas. How was riding up 395? I've thought about riding from my house up and around McCarran, follow old 395 up to Stead, around Red Rock, and then 395/70 over to 89 and back through Truckee/Tahoe. Just wasn't sure about riding the 395 part.

Oh yeah, I used to fish off Turkey Point at Frenchman's Reservoir off and on during the summer. One worm, two garlic marshmellows, and one fish egg was the perfect combination for trout if the catfish didn't beat them to it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doggity: not hot, very nice weather for the most part. Used my all-round XC tires- Panaracer Fire 26 x 2.1

Yuri B: Thank you- To tell the truth, you and Yetisurly were a big part in inspiring me to get out and DO IT

Ridgetop: You almost nailed it (Stampede, not Prosser). 395 was bareable, lots of fast moving traffic but plenty of good shoulder. The main problem is just that it isn`t very peaceful. I live in Lemon Valley, just 12 miles from Bordertown by 395, so I went that way. Are you talking about a one day ride? Then from Truckee up 267 and down Mt Rose? That sounds like a punisher for sure, but 395 shouldn`t be a problem. You`d be on the same 10 or 12 miles of it that I was on, but going the other direction.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Thanks Rodar. I've been trying to determine if I want to create my own Death Ride experience and just go and do it one morning (very early morning :)). Maybe in August!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.