Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently riding Campy Eurus wheels and would like a lighter wheelset. There is a bunch of posts about lightweight wheels (around 1200gms) for riders weighting 150- 185lbs. What is the lightest wheelset for a 210 lbs rider? These would be training/racing wheels.

I am thinking about Reynolds Stratus clinchers, 2006 Eurus and Mavic ES.

Feedback appreciated

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
bigwaves said:
I currently riding Campy Eurus wheels and would like a lighter wheelset. There is a bunch of posts about lightweight wheels (around 1200gms) for riders weighting 150- 185lbs. What is the lightest wheelset for a 210 lbs rider? These would be training/racing wheels.

I am thinking about Reynolds Stratus clinchers, 2006 Eurus and Mavic ES.

Feedback appreciated

Tune hubs
Zipp 285 Pave rims (same as the Zipp cyclocross 303)
DT Aerolite/Sapim CX-Ray spokes
brass nipples
2 cross front/3 cross rear
28 spokes front 32 rear

1225g

You might be able to get lighter, but you would be sacrificing durability. THe above stated wheels could meet you everyday needs if you wanted.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I was 210 when I first bought my Rolf Elan's (1295 gram, clinchers). I'm 190 now and have 6500 miles on them with no issues at all. Rolf says they have riders as high as 240 on them with no problems.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a relatively light wheel set that didn't set me back a bundle. I'm also 210 lbs. I got a set of Velocity Areohead wheels with the Velocity(made by Formula)hubs. Because I needed a relatively high spoke count I had them made with titanium spokes. 32 in the back and 28 in front. So far after about 700 miles they have held up well and have not needed to be trued. On my group rides my wheels seem to spin just as good or better than some of the expensive better known wheels. They came in at 1515 grams (without skewers) and cost $375 before shipping. Not the absolute lightest out there for a heavy rider but I got them because I thought they offered a good weight/cost ratio.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Neuvation R28SL

I weighed 200 when I got my Neuvation R28SL wheels for $399. 1400 miles later after cobblestones, railroad tracks, gravel roads and pot holes they are just as true as when I bought them. 1470 grams is light for the price. Their web site says you can probably go up to 240 lbs. on these wheels.

TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts