Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ssen the yellow jackets you all are wearing and am interested in getting something like them for my self. Are they rain gear. I'm particularly interested in what Miss M wears MB1, if you don't mind! Thanks all

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
I'm using a craft rain rider jacket. It's OK, but doesn't stand up too well to a good soak, and is kind of wearing out in a general way after less than a year. Granted, I'm kind of hard on equipment, but I've had rain jackets last up to four years in similar conditions.

If you don't need rain gear, Pearl Izumi makes a hi-vis jersey, Craft has one with lots of reflective bits, Novara (REI's house brand) has a couple. You can also get a hunting vest to wear over whatever kit you happen to be wearing.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Burley used to make the rain rider and the rock point jackets but they're out of the clothing business now, apparently. you might still be able to find closeouts somewhere. <a href="http://www.showerspass.com/index.php">Showers Pass</a> is a popular choice. I have a louis garneau packable 1000 that's plenty wind/water proof but not reflective.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Sugoi

makes a great, lightweight fluorescent lime-green one. You can see it for blocks. I wear it cycling and rowing and really like it.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have a Showers Pass Elite that has nice reflective trim and is very waterproof. It is also very warm, so if the temps are above 50F it gets hot. Everything is pretty much a tradeoff. My morning commutes have been in the upper 30's, low 40's with the afternoon in the low 60's lately. I have been wearing a thin yellow jacket with a jogger belt for a little more visibility.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm using one of these from Mountain Equipment Co-op (Canadian version of REI)

Works great, windproof, water resistant, underarm zips, folds into it's own rear pocket for storage, reflective, and relatively cheap ($65.00). Plus it comes in stupidly bright colors so you're doing all you can to make yourself visible to drivers.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Around here, everyone wears reflective vests. It helps that in the winter we don't receive much daylight at all. I like them because they are dirt cheap and the breathe--- and they have a massive reflective stripe. I guess I view reflective differently than hi-viz--- although this has both. Even kids wear them walking to school in the morning.

Of course, in the US, you probably should wear a hockey helmet if you bike in one ;) You won't win many style points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.