Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around for years and now I've decide to join since I've encounter a problem I haven't seen on this site. I hope one of you guys/gals have an answer. As an x-racer I got set of Lightweight wheelset that my team paid for. I kept the wheel set when I retired. One of the spoke snapped near the carbon rim. Has anyone in the U.S. have experience in replacing the spoke? Shipping it to Lightweight is not an option.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Colorider-X said:
I've been lurking around for years and now I've decide to join since I've encounter a problem I haven't seen on this site. I hope one of you guys/gals have an answer. As an x-racer I got set of Lightweight wheelset that my team paid for. I kept the wheel set when I retired. One of the spoke snapped near the carbon rim. Has anyone in the U.S. have experience in replacing the spoke? Shipping it to Lightweight is not an option.

You won't be able to do it on your own. If it can be fixed....that might be a big if....you'll have to get hold of the Carbon Sports guys. Alternatively, you could post your question over here, at Weight Weenies. One of the guys at Carbon Sports posts there quite frequently.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
alienator said:
You won't be able to do it on your own. If it can be fixed....that might be a big if....you'll have to get hold of the Carbon Sports guys. Alternatively, you could post your question over here, at Weight Weenies. One of the guys at Carbon Sports posts there quite frequently.
They also post on the Serotta forum just for backup.

·
Registered
324 Posts
How often are those wheels repairable? I thought about the only option was a replacement from Lightweight, at about 30% off the price... are they able to do some sort of carbon/kevlar layup over the broken spoke?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If I recall correctly a snapped spoke is one of the defects that can't be repaired. Lightweight says they haven't seen anyone snap a spoke just from riding their wheels. It's more likely that yours were priorly damaged by some unforeseen event before complete failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts