Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my second commute (25 mi one way due north), and the wind was quite demoralizing (north 21 mph with gusts of 30). The hills felt like mountains and I felt like I wasnt moving (only averaged 13 mph). Oh well maybe the wind will blow me home....gotta love the wind esp. in Oklahoma.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Not much worse than a consistant headwind. I get them riding to/from the beach some days.

When I first started commuting I averaged about 13mph with no wind ;)

Luckilly now I'm up around 16-17mph average.

joe

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
jackstulip said:
Today was my second commute (25 mi one way due north), and the wind was quite demoralizing (north 21 mph with gusts of 30). The hills felt like mountains and I felt like I wasnt moving (only averaged 13 mph). Oh well maybe the wind will blow me home....gotta love the wind esp. in Oklahoma.
You'll have to tell us how the ride home goes. I'm sure it will be fast.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
5:45 PM
Sunny and Windy
46°F
From W 25mph

I had a little of the above going home yesterday. Guess which direction home is located?

I was in 3rd gear part of the time on the flats heading west. The gusts were up near 40mph. It was a character builder.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The wind In my favor

jackstulip said:
My daily ride from Boulder to Denver can be very windy too. Usually in my favor from the NW at abou 25mph. What's great about it is that usually grab the top of the bar and extend my arms so I can sail w/ the wind. It's still to dark to bike home so I hop on the bus and don't have to deal w/ headwind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why, Wind gods? Why?

I live 9 miles West and 2.5 miles North of work. In the morning the wind typically comes out of the South-Southeast. Around 2:00 pm the wind switches and comes out of the North-Northwest. On about as many times as I can count on one hand has it been the other way around- I almost never have a tail wind in either direction. This morning the wind was out of the North- weird. Some weeks the only thing that gets me out on my weekend rides is the possiblility of choosing to have a tailwind on the way home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts