Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had this experience? After a century ride this weekend a had a pain in my lower back as if I had taken a shot to the kidney. This happened one other time and coincidently on the same bike. I have multiple bikes I and I would characterize this bike as the stiffest by far. I have not experienced this on my other bikes over dozens of centuries

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Closest similar thing I get is sore muscles from "runner's stitch" aka a cramp in the diaphragm - it's a nearby area to the kidneys, so that might be it for you too.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your theory better

Creakyknees said:
Closest similar thing I get is sore muscles from "runner's stitch" aka a cramp in the diaphragm - it's a nearby area to the kidneys, so that might be it for you too.
I like your theory better a lot better than mine. I would hate to think I am damaging my kidneys in any way

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did my first century the other day and experienced the same thing afterward. I thought it was my kidneys too but figured out that if I held my breath, the twinges of pain stopped. So I concluded it was actually my breathing muscles around my ribs that were hurting. It only lasted through the evening and was gone when I woke up the next morning.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had that feeling once after a ride a few years ago and ended up in the hospital with a sever muscle spasm in my back!.... Just be cautious and listen if your body is trying to tell you something!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bring this up so do not freak out.. could be kidney stones... let me explain..

I had a bought with them last year and this is what I learned.. One my bought was the night where I completed a 125 mile ride... my doctor later told me that is you sweat a lot, have a high protean diet, drink tee or coffee, and hereditary... all would lump you in high risk, he said when you do these things it dehydrates you and the waste that you would normally pass through your system collects and forms stones

So basically years of dehydrating on long hot rides (some days I could lose 6 - 8 pounds of water weight) could very well have led to kidney stones..

Now I make sure I drink plenty of water all the time and make sure I drink plenty on rides as well..

Just an alternative opinion.

C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts