Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My old user title said: “I’m going to quit my job” (at a financial institution). Well, I did. I gave my notice last month and two weeks ago, I walked out of there. While there was a nice place to work, it’s not my place; it’s not me. I just had to get out; I had to change my life! Ya know?
<o =""></o>
No I don’t have a new job; I’m retired. Don’t look at my age listed to the left. (Well it used to be at the left; I'm 36.)
<o =""></o>
So, I am taking the summer off to do a little traveling and b**e riding, and just take a breather and enjoy myself. In another week, I’ll be in Mississippi for a week with Habitat for Humanity. I am excited to finally be helping out, but also nervous and I can’t figure out why.
<o =""></o>
Anyway, this retirement thing is pretty good. After two weeks, I no longer think about what day it is. One thing that I have learned already is that I have to keep busy. Lying around watching One Tree Hill (yes, I realize that I am not a teenaged girl) and playing Splinter Cell doesn’t cut it. I have to accomplish at least one thing per day. I’ve got a list, but I slacked off in this second week and it makes me feel loser-ish…so, that’s what I learned: I must keep doing stuff.
<o =""></o>
I hope to have a good summer, and I hope that each of you do to.
<o =""></o>
Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Registered
499 Posts
T-shirt said:
My old user title said: “I’m going to quit my job” (at a financial institution). Well, I did. I gave my notice last month and two weeks ago, I walked out of there. While there was a nice place to work, it’s not my place; it’s not me. I just had to get out; I had to change my life! Ya know?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
No I don’t have a new job; I’m retired. Don’t look at my age listed to the left.
<o:p> </o:p>
So, I am taking the summer off to do a little traveling and b**e riding, and just take a breather and enjoy myself. In another week, I’ll be in Mississippi for a week with Habitat for Humanity. I am excited to finally be helping out, but also nervous and I can’t figure out why.
Anyway, this retirement thing is pretty good. After two weeks, I no longer think about what day it is. One thing that I have learned already is that I have to keep busy. Lying around watching One Tree Hill (yes, I realize that I am not a teenaged girl) and playing Splinter Cell doesn’t cut it. I have to accomplish at least one thing per day. I’ve got a list, but I slacked off in this second week and it makes me feel loser-ish…so, that’s what I learned: I must keep doing stuff.
I hope to have a good summer, and I hope that each of you do to.
Thanks,
Tshirt
Enjoy your time off.

My wife love One Tree Hill. I get all the characters and story lines confused and when I ask questions, she yells at me for interrupting the show.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
You're a good bit ahead of me--I expect I've got another 10-15 before I can retire, which will put me into what I hope is a still-healthy 49-54 age range. I'd do it tomorrow if I had the funds.

It's great to hear that you were able to do it early, and it's also encouraging to hear your talk of accomplishing something every day. I'm currently imagining a part-time job when I retire, for beer money and to keep me at least a little bit focused.

Good luck.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i thought you were going up the river for five to seven. what gives?

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i thought you were going up the river for five to seven. what gives?
Retirement, embezzlement- it was one of those 'ments.

;)

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haiku d'etat "i thought you were going up the river for five to seven. what gives?"

The radio said that Truckasaurus is in town... "So don't miss it, unless your dead or in jail!! And if you're in jail, Break Out!!" ...I'm not dead.

On my way to Mississippi next week, I'm going through Memphis. So, I expect you to give me a tour of Graceland.

Just kidding, I'll only be spending the night. Wait that didn't sound right.

I'll be spending the night in a hotel alone with myself. Wait that didn't sound right.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bikeboy389,

Ok, you caught me. I'm not really retired; I just like to say that I am. Really, I'm just taking some time off. If I had actually retired, my job would have paid me for the 400+ hours of sick time that I've accumulated, bummer.

A year ago, I finished graduate school (working full time the whole way). The job search hasn't been going great, but I'd had it with life as usual (J's read: didn't want to serve my prison term.), so I'm taking the summer off. In the fall I will probably move some place that is warm all year, with hills and or mountains. Hopefully then I can find a job, a new and real career.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts