Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...(not k0d3)

I've spent most of the past week traveling all around Chicago, up through Wisconsin, and back into UP Michigan. I found a true gem of a store right around Manitowac, WI...Something which I had no idea existed: A liquor superstore.

It was epic. A store, roughly the size of a small grocery store, filled to the brim with all kinds of alcohol (they even had shopping carts). I picked up a whole bunch of beer for quite cheap, and although I can't return the bottles, I still made out like a bandit.

They had 12-packs of Newcastle for $10, 12'ers of Fat Tire ale (something which is not sold in MI) for $12, cases of Coors for $10, and lots and lots of beer that I've never seen before (stuff that I've only heard about on teh intarnetz).

It was amazing*. I hope you all get to experience something like it in your lifetime.

*The amazingness might have something to do with the fact that I'm from a nearly dry township, and a county that's not much better...although, I've never seen a liquor superstore in MI at all.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I think it's a Wisconsin cultural original.

Discount Liquors in Waukesha is... I don't remember. Probably better that way.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kykr13 said:
I think it's a Wisconsin cultural original.

Discount Liquors in Waukesha is... I don't remember. Probably better that way.
I also (finally) discovered the amazingness of Leinenkugel Original. I think I have a new favorite cheap/watery/pale beer :thumbsup:

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
old_fuji said:
I also (finally) discovered the amazingness of Leinenkugel Original. I think I have a new favorite cheap/watery/pale beer :thumbsup:
Leinie's is great stuff. Make sure to try some New Glarus beers like Uff-Da or Spotted Cow. The raspberry tart is a really good lambic too.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees said:
ahh, but you had to get out of your car, didn't you.
Yes...I haven't been far enough south in a car to experience the drive-through liquor joints.
:blush2:

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
old_fuji said:
Yes...I haven't been far enough south in a car to experience the drive-through liquor joints.
:blush2:
When I was at Michigan in the early 1980s, there was a drive through place called the Beer Vault. I did not have a car, so I never went there, but I remember walking by it and seeing cars drive through.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
old_fuji said:
I also (finally) discovered the amazingness of Leinenkugel Original.
It's a good one but because it's not Honey Weiss, nobody wants it. :rolleyes: (blech...) Been rockin' the Schlitz, myself. :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Spent 5 years in Australia and was introduced to the drive thru package store.Seemed a great idea at the time.Since they have a huge DUI problem maybe not such a great business model :)

Speaking of beer ... Just discovered the joys of IPA. Any suggestions which to try ? Tried Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute at the local chain brewpub and I'm hooked.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ksl316 said:
Spent 5 years in Australia and was introduced to the drive thru package store.Seemed a great idea at the time.Since they have a huge DUI problem maybe not such a great business model :)

Speaking of beer ... Just discovered the joys of IPA. Any suggestions which to try ? Tried Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute at the local chain brewpub and I'm hooked.
Well, you started with two of the best; now stop before belly grows into something like mine.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts