Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still no clouds but it was a pretty nice morning. Cold though.....

Lots of commuting cyclists going by as I strolled over to the Korean War Memorial to check things out. Some of them I have seen for years and could set my watch by. Others don't quite look experienced yet but my helmet is off to them for commuting on a cold February morning.

Last year when the gas prices exploded so did the number of bike commuters. Some of them are sticking to it. Although I am glad that there are more cyclists out there I am also somewhat dreading the soon to come warmer weather when the MUTs are bound to turn crazy.

Any way back to the mornings photos....

The statues looked good in the cool morning light. They always look best to me in the winter-they are way over dressed for the warmer months. I'm thinking they prefer the winters cooler weather and quiter days as I do.

OTOH I could be a total nut case for imagining that statues have thoughts and feelings. Still, the better ones sure feel alive to me......

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Awesome light on Lincoln

Geez, what size frame do you ride? :D

I really liked the inside of the Lincoln shot. I sure wish I had such awesome memorials and what not to shoot pics of. We're off to Death Valley in just a few hours. Hopefully I can get some good pics down there if my camera holds together. Only 3 months old and the Sony is having nothing but issues. Irritating.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Multi Use Trail

justridingalong said:
Great pics!
Okay, I just gotta ask - What's a MUT?
The DC area has more than 100 miles of them. Great for bike commuting when the weather is bad-full of other users when the weather is good.

Somehow the fair weather users are always suprised that other folks use them too. :eek:

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
The trails in PG county are pretty good year round. Nobody ever uses them. Nice shots, MB1.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Korean War Memorial...

I took my Dad to the Korean War Memorial a few weeks ago. He served in the Korean War as an Infantryman. As I have gotten older, he told me stories of challenges he faced during combat and experiences he had while there.

One funny story he shared was his feelings on Armor (tanks).... While the infantry were digging in to ridgelines in defensive positions, tanks would routinely roll up to the top of the ridge to fire a few "harrassing shots" at the Chinese on the other ridgeline. Then they would roll back down under cover of the ridgeline. This would always bring Chinese artillery down on the infantry who were still digging in...it would always p!ss the infantry off because the tanks were long gone.

Anyway, being from Florida, he had not had a chance to see it. I took this shot of my Dad's reflection on the wall with the reflections of other soldiers.

Cheers.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Chase15.5 said:
I took my Dad to the Korean War Memorial a few weeks ago. He served in the Korean War as an Infantryman. As I have gotten older, he told me stories of challenges he faced during combat and experiences he had while there.

One funny story he shared was his feelings on Armor (tanks).... While the infantry were digging in to ridgelines in defensive positions, tanks would routinely roll up to the top of the ridge to fire a few "harrassing shots" at the Chinese on the other ridgeline. Then they would roll back down under cover of the ridgeline. This would always bring Chinese artillery down on the infantry who were still digging in...it would always p!ss the infantry off because the tanks were long gone.

Anyway, being from Florida, he had not had a chance to see it. I took this shot of my Dad's reflection on the wall with the reflections of other soldiers.

Cheers.
My aunt had a relationship with a guy who volunteered for Korea and, as he is from Holland (as am I) he's never seen the monument. I'll try and see if she is still in contact with him so I can forward some pics. The war has wrecked his life, last memory was getting run over by the Chinese, woke up in a Tokyo hospital recovering from gutshot, but I'm sure it will mean a lot to him.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts