Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have dabbled in GNU/Linux operating systems for over a decade and always come to the same conclusion... i've installed the OS, tweaked the settings and setup some eye candy, but then... ???? it's as if the joy of OS is getting it to work, but not actually using it.i've never made the jump to using a GNU/Linux distro as my main desktop.

anyone here find the same thing?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
asciibaron said:
i have dabbled in GNU/Linux operating systems for over a decade and always come to the same conclusion... i've installed the OS, tweaked the settings and setup some eye candy, but then... ???? it's as if the joy of OS is getting it to work, but not actually using it.i've never made the jump to using a GNU/Linux distro as my main desktop.

anyone here find the same thing?
Yep, it was fun to play with but not worth the trouble to setup and use for my day to day work and play at home. I dabbled for a few years starting with slackware 97 up through mandrake 8.1 in around 2003 or so but I never felt it was ready for prime time. I get enough pain from windows at work that I want to go home, turn on the computer and just surf and play with my fotos. Therefore Mac..

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VaughnA said:
Therefore Mac..
wouldn't that be "therefore iMac"

the closest i got to using a distro as my everyday system was the GNOME version of PCLinuxOS. i am running a Slackware server and have been for nearly a decade, but i just haven't been able to make the leap on the desktop.

part of the problem is my ham radio software. i fookin love this one app that i use for everything and it's windoze only. i have gotten it to work as virtual machine, but i'd rather not have to run an OS inside an OS for apps. that just eats RAM.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
asciibaron said:
part of the problem is my ham radio software. i fookin love this one app that i use for everything and it's windoze only. i have gotten it to work as virtual machine, but i'd rather not have to run an OS inside an OS for apps. that just eats RAM.
Have you tried running it under Wine?

BTW-RAM is made to be used. Minimalists like to measure their hoo-hahs, but at the end of the day you have RAM so use it.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marc said:
Have you tried running it under Wine?

BTW-RAM is made to be used. Minimalists like to measure their hoo-hahs, but at the end of the day you have RAM so use it.
i'd rather not use it ALL on a bridging app. does not work in Wine. i need to access the two com ports, the parallel port and the USB for all the crap connected up.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Some large companies actually use Linux to run their servers. Google, for instance. Google banned Windows recently.

But I don't see any point in Linux for personal use.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've used kubuntu on my work computer for the last 3 years. After using it all day I have no motivation to continue with all the command line stuff at home. Of course, at home, I'm really only using my computer for some light internet browsing/emailing/banking/ etc, something my mac handles well.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
I was a sysadmin for years in a highly-varied datacenter (Sun, HP-UX, AIX, Tru-64, Linux, MacOS and Windows) so I'm not adverse to messing around with them but I'm running WinXP on my personal laptop. Stuff just works on it.

I like the concept of open source but sometimes the evil corporate overlords know what they're doing.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
empty_set said:
I like the concept of open source but sometimes the evil corporate overlords know what they're doing.
Except when you're using more than one monitor. Dual head works better in Linux than Windows.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Marc said:
Except when you're using more than one monitor. Dual head works better in Linux than Windows.
True. I don't run that kind of setup at home anymore. Lappy and desk. Any more stuff and it gets cluttered.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
to some extent, yes.

When I first started using it, I loved tinkering w/ it. Now, I just want my computer to work so I can get stuff done. However, I still can do that w/ linux.

my main desktop at home has been linux for ~6 years. I added a win XP dual boot over christmas this last year, so I could use my logitech wheel to play racing games. (Games ran fine under Wine, but couldn't get the wheel to work w/ 900 degree rotation)

Some days my machine frustrates me, when I need to fiddle with it to get things to work. However, the customizability always wins out for me. Not to mention the hundreds of times I've been doing something in windows, and said, "Hey, I could do this all really quickly with the bash shell (or at worst, a simple script)..." [Yes, I know about, and use, cygwin, but that's still a bit of a pain]

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
I'm a bit like you Ascii--tried various distributions over the years, built test boxes since I thought I should see what the fuss was about--we had a few Unix servers at our old site, so there was a reason for me to learn a little...

But for the desktop, I came away with kinda of meh--

Love it or hate it (and there are days when you definitely will hate it), what M$ has is the discipline of a controlling vision (even more true for Mac world)--as I worked my way through open source Linux I kept seeing duplication--"hey lets make a new wizbang widget for the desktop" (never mind the 6 1/3 other ones that are all in various stages of release)--"Hey lets load up this distro with three versions of a GUI desktop" and then you are supposed to chose...

Really annoying!

Open Office rocks (I will not buy M$ Office again)...

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had a big problem with the volume of duplicate applications. i don't need 14 different mp3 players, 6 window managers, and 9 text editors. just give me the best in class. but there's the problem, the best in class is a moving target because of the duplicated efforts.

i would love to see a distro that just has the best in class - Slackware kind of does this, but even that seems to put too many scoops on the cone...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Marc said:
Nope. Posted on dual-head Arch on KDE4.
Same, except from Ubuntu and Gnome.

Getting it setup is the least enjoyable part of the experience for me.

Duplicated efforts are the truth in open source, but also the beauty. Don't like one of them? Try a different one. Repeat. Or, modify the freely available code.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Slackware? That's vintage 1995. Ha ha. I remember installing Slackware Linux using 20 floppy disks on my 486 DX PC that had 20 MB of memory! I think we've moved a bit beyond that with today's distributions. :eek:

I used a Linux desktop environment at a previous job (I was working on a IP Networking product). It worked great. In fact, much better than my Windows based environment now (but that's just the company line here). The Linux environment was solid. Never had to reboot, never had security issues, never had to sit there looking at the screen wondering why the f%&k some application was out to lunch for long periods of time and not giving me control of my mouse.

My current Windoze environment decides to slowly chew up memory on a periodic basis, requiring a reboot to clean it up. I am constantly getting reminders from our IT staff about the latest patches and security fixes, which again requires more reboots. Microsoft Outlook still sucks major a$$, just like it always has. And don't get me started on how different versions of Microsoft Office aren't even compatible with each other .... Ugh!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
skyphix said:
Same, except from Ubuntu and Gnome.

Getting it setup is the least enjoyable part of the experience for me.

Duplicated efforts are the truth in open source, but also the beauty. Don't like one of them? Try a different one. Repeat. Or, modify the freely available code.
I enjoy the challenge-when I'm not facing a deadline. Hence why I'm an Archer. Makes things a million times easier getting things working, or troubleshooting something, when everything is transparent. Instead of the obnoxious Windows' "This Program has suffered an Error and must close" dialogues.

I srsly cannot believe how awful multi-monitor is done by default under Windows. Especially given the gawd-awful default window management.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have been using Linux as my desktop since Slackware was around. Unless you want to play games, Linux has everything you need on the desktop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts