Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any free linux Operating Systems that will synch up with wireless networks and read both mac and PC file types?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
I just ran the Ubuntu Live cd (10.0.4?) on my HP G62 and it grabbed the wireless and took off running just fine, as for reading Mac files, I can't say but it read windows stuff fine

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Pretty much every recent distro has the capability. Where you run into issues, isn't with operating system compatibility, but with file format compatibility. OpenOffice may open the Windows versions of MS Office file formats but *may* (I do not know) choke on Mac Office formats. There are workarounds for this *if* it happens.

A better question to ask may be what linux apps open the file formats you need.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More clarification maybe...

I have taken to ripping my DVD's do my Mac because I loan out/lose them once and a while. And its easier than finding the actual disc/case. I would like to watch the movies saved on my Mac (not FAT type file storage) on a PC hooked to a TV elsewhere in the house.

Does that make sense?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,793 Posts
BentChainring said:
Are there any free linux Operating Systems that will synch up with wireless networks and read both mac and PC file types?
Just about any old Linux variant can do these. What may or may not make things difficult is the kind of wireless chipset/card you have.

Reading filesystems is dirt easy.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
1nf0s3c said:
Hope you don't have a broadcom wireless card.

Oof is all I'll say if you do.
been there....done that

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
sure would have been!

·
that ain't chamois cream
645 Posts
BentChainring said:
More clarification maybe...

I have taken to ripping my DVD's do my Mac because I loan out/lose them once and a while. And its easier than finding the actual disc/case. I would like to watch the movies saved on my Mac (not FAT type file storage) on a PC hooked to a TV elsewhere in the house.

Does that make sense?
Just use your Mac as your file server.

On your Mac: System Preferences > Sharing. Turn on "file sharing". In File sharing click Options... Choose "Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows)." Also choose the account(s) you want to share.

Also make note of your Mac's computer name in case you don't already know it.

On your PC: in "network places", you should now be able to surf to your Mac, open it and see your files.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts