Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of youz been to Lisbon and care to comment on the city as a vacation destination? I just like to get a cheap but well located room and "just walk around" and let whatever happens happen so not really looking for any specific stuff other than an interesting Euro city that can be enjoyed via foot travel. So given that criteria whaddya think of Lisbon?

Open to other suggestions too. I've already been to a lot the usual suspects and not looking to repeat though.

Thanks.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
One of my wanna go to destinations. The major reason -- I got a Portuguese restaurant near my house and I totally love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lisbon is brilliant! You have Cascais nearby for the beach and Sintra for the history. Food is good, the people are very nice, the history and architecture of the city is captivating, the nightlive is excellent (everything happen in the street).

Portugal overall is a great destination.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I didn't need much are twisting so this should do it. I'd done some research myself and definitely like the prospects but figured I'd float it here for a second opinion.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
They have the pousadas in Portugal which are old castles and monasteries turned into hotels. On my list for future travels.

Enjoy and post pics when done!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Open to other suggestions too. I've already been to a lot the usual suspects and not looking to repeat though.

Thanks.
I lived in Porto for 4 months and it's the most beautiful city I ever visited. Definitely check it out if you're going to Portugal. Lisbon is nice as well but a bit more touristy than I would like. I would also recommend visiting Quinta da Regaleira, it's not far from Lisbon and it's magical.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Not Lisbon, but I did a Backroads trip years ago across northern spain through camino de santiago to Lisbon. I wasn't that impressed with Portugal as a cycling destination.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must report back. Please.
I've done the major Mediterranean ports, but need more visual / info on Portugal.
Not going until December but will try to report back. It's going to be a tough act to follow because (speaking of Mediterranean) my trip last year was to Barcelona and other parts of NorthEast Spain and that was a blast.
I'm pretty pumped to see Lisbon and a few side trips from there though.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Not going until December but will try to report back. It's going to be a tough act to follow because (speaking of Mediterranean) my trip last year was to Barcelona and other parts of NorthEast Spain and that was a blast.
I'm pretty pumped to see Lisbon and a few side trips from there though.
Funny, when I read the 1st post and saw "Open to other suggestions", Barcelona was on my typing fingertips before seeing you wanted Portugal.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny, when I read the 1st post and saw "Open to other suggestions", Barcelona was on my typing fingertips before seeing you wanted Portugal.
I really wanted to go back again. But that would make it my third trip there so I felt obligated to choose another place. Barcelona hasn't seen the last of me though for certain.
I can't really pin point what I like so much about Barcelona but I'd say it's my favorite big city. Objectively, it doesn't have what Paris, London, NYC ect have to offer....but there's just something about it for sure.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I'm probably the only person in history who enjoyed Madrid more than Barcelona. Madrid isn't as pretty as parts of Barcelona can be but it was still attractive. The people were friendlier and the food, to my taste, was actually better. It didn't hurt that there were a few less tourists to contend with.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
i've been to Madrid and Barcelona several times. It is subjective but for me not even close. Love Barclona. Madrid is too urban reminds of NY in some ways.

Spain is my 2nd home. Biked in Andulacia ten years ago, bikd Mallorca twice and now will try cycling in Girona in three weeks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I always seem to have layovers in Lisbon, some forced but better a MX on the ground than in the air.

Step 1 to enjoying Lisbon: DO NOT FLY TAP Airlines
Step 2 to enjoying Lisbon: leave hotel room

A while back I used to cheap out on lodging in terms of location, not anymore. A central location can make or break a short vacation, and with Airbnb it's a lot easier to get into a centrally located room.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts