Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's try to keep the list under $1000 (the cheaper the better). And production/stock frames only, not custom. Made in the USA only.

Ionic Columbus Zona Nivacrom $750
Kelly Bone Stock $850
Burley Wolf Creek $750 (frame AND fork?)
Strong Hyalite $1000

I'm assuming the Cervelo steel frame is made in Taiwan but I don't know for sure.

So what else is out there?

·
Registered
52 Posts
couple more

add Soma, Curtlo, and Surly to that list

·
Registered
52 Posts
hot diggity damn

Henry Chinaski said:
Curtlo is custom and the other two are made in Taiwan.

but how could I forget Gunnar?

Learn sumpthin' new every day...

Anyhow, they're affordable and steel at least.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
I don't get it??

Why exclude custom if the price is competitive with other manufacturers that make "standard" geometry frames?

Bryan

·
Registered
449 Posts
Curtlo

Curtlo looks like a really good deal and I'm curious to learn more. The web site lists custom road frames, True Temper OX Platinum, for $695. They have an S3 frame for $950. Anyone have one? Reviews?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rock Lobster...

Comes in at just under $1k.

Salsa's 853 La Raza is under $1k I assume, but they're Taiwanese now. And unfortunately Soulcraft's are over $1000 (as are IF, Sycip, Steelman...).

Darn, pretty short list. S

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B2 said:
I don't get it??

Why exclude custom if the price is competitive with other manufacturers that make "standard" geometry frames?

Bryan
I excluded them cause there ate a TON of fly-by-night custom builders out there. I was more interested in established builders that offer an affordable off-the-rack frame (most of these builders listed have custom available for more money). Kind of arbitrary, I know. Obviously there are some established custom builders out there who offer affordable custom frames--Curtlo, Teesdale, etc.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Tom Teesdale...

Tom welds Columbus, Reynolds and True Temper (I think) tubing - prices range from $699 to $929 (Reynolds 520 up to 853). His resume is pretty impressive and I've seen him advertise on rec.bicycles.marketplace that he'll do a full custom in some pretty high grade tubing for under $800 - although it's been a while since I've looked much at that newsgroup. His website is www.tetcycles.com

Wish I could include Steelman on the list, but he's aiming for the stars now.....

Mike

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike Prince said:
Wish I could include Steelman on the list, but he's aiming for the stars now.....

Mike
Yeah, he had used to have the ultimate bang-for-the-buck steel frame with the SR525. I think just two years ago GVH was selling that frame/fork combo for $625.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
i've got a custom curtlo

Mayday said:
Curtlo looks like a really good deal and I'm curious to learn more. The web site lists custom road frames, True Temper OX Platinum, for $695. They have an S3 frame for $950. Anyone have one? Reviews?
I got it back in september just before he raised his price to $695. I got a custom frame and alpha Q pro fork for something like $950. it's a great ride. the smoothest riding bike i've been on. he's been building frames for 20 years - hardly fly-by-night. he's also one of the few to fillet braze his frames without extra cost.

there's no section for custom builder reviews. hey gregg!!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Gunnar's are now $725 for the frameset.

They added a 1 3/8 downtube that is kinda' overkill. The 1 1/4 downtube that I have doesn't flex at all.
What more can you ask for. Top quality tubeset, low price, and made in USA by the Waterford people.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll say it for him...

Heron Road frames, lugged steel built by Waterford, $995 while they last (before they're replaced by a new and improved model that's a bit over your range). Todd is always a good source of advice on the board, but I suspect he didn't want to toot his own horn on this one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
steel

MR_GRUMPY said:
They added a 1 3/8 downtube that is kinda' overkill. The 1 1/4 downtube that I have doesn't flex at all.
What more can you ask for. Top quality tubeset, low price, and made in USA by the Waterford people.
i know i know the subject was steel but how about dean vado ti at less than $1000 or el dentie(sp) at abvout $1200

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice

Nice. How do you like the curved seat stays? Do they seem to have any effect on comfort? I know it's pretty subjective without comparing directly to the same frame with straight stays, but just curious about your perceptions.

·
Registered
228 Posts
US Steel!

cheaperthancarsdear said:
Heron Road frames, lugged steel built by Waterford, $995 while they last (before they're replaced by a new and improved model that's a bit over your range). Todd is always a good source of advice on the board, but I suspect he didn't want to toot his own horn on this one.
Toot! Toot! Yes, we still have some of those $995 models left. A few have mentioned the Gunnars. Those are GREAT values for the money (especially if you pay the extra for a crowned Waterford fork). Waterford made the Salsa 853 frames, but Salsa discontinued those in favor of inexpensive aluminum/carbon frames made overseas. I believe that Waterford still makes the Salsa cro-mo stems, however.

A friend once suggested that all the US steel frame manufacturers should band together to form some sort of advertising alliance to promote domestic steel frames. I'm not sure if we could get everyone to agree on anything!

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Mayday said:
Nice. How do you like the curved seat stays? Do they seem to have any effect on comfort? I know it's pretty subjective without comparing directly to the same frame with straight stays, but just curious about your perceptions.
i liked them on my mtb so i got them for the road.
pros - supposedly they weigh less according to doug, they might actually work
cons - ?

it's hard to say when compared. my last road bike was a lemond with 525 and straight stays and the curtlo is much more comfortable in the saddle. it just feels 'softer' but not squishy or flexy. this could also have something to do with wheel choice, etc. but that's my perception of the situation and it works for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts