Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's not a big market yet since the UCI hasn't "legalized it", but due to where and how I ride, I'm potentially interested in a getting a light, stiff, full-on race bike with discs. I've started a list of available models, please add any others that I may have missed. Also, if anyone has one of the bikes on the list and has some feedback, even better! Cheers!

Alchemy (custom)
Calfee (all models)
Colnago C60
Colnago V-1r
Culprit Croz Blade
De Rosa Idol
Focus Cayo
Guru Photon R
Olympia Boost
Olympia Leader
Parlee Altum
Parlee Z-Zero
Specialized Tarmac
Storck Aernario
Storck Scenero
Wilier Cento 1 SR
Wilier GTS

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
So the Paris-Roubaix is not a race?

More a case of not Road Race Geometry, as in stage road race. MTN bike have races too, and GEOM is nothing close to cyclocross or stage road race either...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I'm not totally ruling out "endurance" bikes, I'm more interested in light and stiff than I am in comfort or relaxed geometry. Also, disc brake endurance frames are dime a dozen these days so I don't need help in researching what's out there as far as those go. Thanks for the replies anyway!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Currently riding a custom Guru Photon R Disc... R meaning there race version. Super stiff and the geometry can be custom built to your needs. I went mechanical and they have more than enough stopping power... Very close in stiffness to my Giant Propel but more comfortable. Truthfully, it's too expensive to race so I would never do so... I am building up an Olympia Boost as a much more cost effective frame to use as a race beast... I like that it can be either Rim or Disc brakes too so when the rules change, I can too. Cool shape but I think you either love that or hate it.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
The new Norco Tactic SL Disc. It has a great price and frame weight to boot. The Specialized Tarmac Disc and the Focus Cayo Disc are two others I like.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Here are the links for the Norco Tactic Disc and the Focus Cayo Disc:

Tactic SL Disc - Race - Race - Road - Bikes - Norco Bicycles

Focus - Bikes: 2016: Cayo Disc 105

Focus - Bikes: 2016: Cayo Disc Rival

Focus - Bikes: 2016: CAYO DISC ULTEGRA

When you put all of the relevant factors on the table (weight, stiffness, race pedigree, carbon layup, comfort, and price, etc.), the new norco tactic is one of my favorites (at least on paper). Norco dealers aren't easy to find in the U.S though. I am fortunate to have one about 1.0-1.5 hours away and I am hoping to test one soon.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
It's not a big market yet since the UCI hasn't "legalized it", but due to where and how I ride, I'm potentially interested in a getting a light, stiff, full-on race bike with discs. I've started a list of available models, please add any others that I may have missed. Also, if anyone has one of the bikes on the list and has some feedback, even better! Cheers!

Alchemy (custom)
Calfee (all models)
Colnago C60
Colnago V-1r
Culprit Croz Blade
De Rosa Idol
Focus Cayo
Guru Photon R
Olympia Boost
Olympia Leader
Parlee Altum
Parlee Z-Zero
Specialized Tarmac
Storck Aernario
Storck Scenero
Wilier Cento 1 SR
Wilier GTS

BTW, the UCI has "legalized" the use of disc brakes and the pros will begin racing on them in certain races next season:

UCI to lift ban on disc brakes in August - VeloNews.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/s...al-basis-stirs-concern-among-riders.html?_r=0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts