Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some Ti advice

I am looking into purchasing a new Ti Road Frame in 2008. Have been riding/racing a Tarmac SL Carbon & Felt F1 SL Carbon both full DuraAce. I am 43 and getting out of racing so I am selling my Felt F1 Frame and would like to replace with a Ti Frame.

I have never ridden a Ti before and have always wanted one. I am looking to keep the feel and response I am use to just would like to add a little more comfort if possible.

I am looking at the Litespeed Icon, Moots Compact SL and a DeSalvo - Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
They are all superbly designed and built bikes. Any of the three above will make you superbly happy provided they fit right. As with all bikes there will differences in how they feel and ride, small differences that don't really matter. Pick whichever tickles you the most in that special spot and buy it.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Is Ti more comfortable than carbon, absolutely not. Comfort is not an intrinsic property of the material, but a property of the design. You can have a bike made of whatever material you want that will ride great if its designed to ride well, or ride poorly if you design it to ride poorly.
Ti has always been a difficult material to work with and as such there has never been any low end Ti bikes out there. Being high end bikes the tend to get quite a bit of design and generally all Ti bikes tend ride rather well. But so do high end Al bikes, and high end carbon bikes.
Titanium is tough. Ti can take a lot of abuse that a carbon bike can't such as big whacks, falls and other non riding related damage. Carbon is plenty strong, don't ever think that carbon fiber is not, but I would much rather drive a Ti or steel bike into the garage than a carbon fiber bike.
Ti is also rare these days and carbon frames a dime a dozen, almost all mass produced in Asia. Ti is a little bit more personal. Almost all Ti bikes available in the US are made in the US by small companies- Moots, Litespeed, Seven,Indy Fab ect. You could probably talk to the grunt that welded your frame if you stopped by the factory.
As for the Serotta, some people think that just becuase it costs a whole lot, as Serottas do, that it is somehow better, Does Serotta know more about building bikes than Mike DeSalvo, more about welding Ti then Kent Ericksen, more about Titanium shaping than Dave Lynsky. The answer is no. If Serotta gets your blood going then by all means by one, same with Seven, Indy Fab, Moots, Litespeed or whomever, but don't claim they are better .
Here are some other great Ti companies to check out JTTucker. Lynsky, Carl Strong, Seven, Indy Fab and Dean. Or go with a Litespeed Icon, it will be a great bike for many years. Get the right fit though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
JTTucker said:
Need some Ti advice

I am looking into purchasing a new Ti Road Frame in 2008. Have been riding/racing a Tarmac SL Carbon & Felt F1 SL Carbon both full DuraAce. I am 43 and getting out of racing so I am selling my Felt F1 Frame and would like to replace with a Ti Frame.

I have never ridden a Ti before and have always wanted one. I am looking to keep the feel and response I am use to just would like to add a little more comfort if possible.

I am looking at the Litespeed Icon, Moots Compact SL and a DeSalvo - Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
I love my Lynskey Level 4. I previously owned a LS Vortex. It wasn;t even close in terms of build or ride quality.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Litespeed Icon is sweet

All the high end ti bikes are nice, but the Icon is a supersweet bike. Here is a review. I own 2 Litespeeds
currently and had a Vortex that I traded in a few years ago. All are well made, solid rides. The Icon has a nice sloping geometry and a nuce white/ti finish. I like it better than the more expensive Archon. Moots makes a nice bike but are boring looking IMO.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/reviews/litespeed_icon08

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
First up Moots is no longer offering the compact SL. They where having too much trouble sourcing 6.4 tubing.

Take a look at the Lynskey's. My R320 is the best titanium frame I have owned to date. I've had multiple Litespeed's, a Dean El Dente and a Titus Solera. Depending what you weigh the R320 may be the way to go unless you are a strong sprinter type and then look at the R420.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Eyorerox said:
How does your Lynskey level 4 ride?
I am looking at purchasing a house Blend or Custom
I love it. I am big, at 6'3" and just over 200lbs. Lynskey built the bike for me with a biaxial downtube (wider on a horizontal plane where the tube abuts the BB shell, and on a vertical plane at the head tube. The bike is much stiffer than the Vortex I had previously, and it handles great. I use an Easton UL fork, It is by far one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

·
Banned
181 Posts
You must give props to Moots for having the integrity to suspend production on the SL until they can source the same high quality 6.4 Ti they require to build their frames. The demand for SL's is surely high enough that another might be tempted to use lower quality 6.4 to keep up with demand and continue selling "SL" frames (not accusing anyone here) but they have not done this. That level of integrity is reassuring to me.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I've owned several titanium bikes, a Litespeed, an older LeMond, and a Moots. The Moots is my favorite but in all honesty I think its a tad harsh on the rear end than. Those massive seat and chainstays are super stiff and don't allow for too much vertical flex, but don't let that deter you from the bike. Its a superb bike in every aspect.
If I was personally after a new titanium bike it would probably be a Litespeed Icon, I was impressed the few times I've had the opportunity to ride one.
Any of the bikes that have been listed in this thread are fine bikes, pick one at random and you'll love it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are the 2 bike I am thinking about - Moots Compact and Litespeed Icon.

I have been racing carbon bikes for the last 10 years, I am 43 and getting out of racing. I have always wanted a Ti bike - the Moots was the one I always thought about. I just say the Icon and it made me feel like the first time I saw the Moots - Just Stunning.

I have been told coming off Hi End Carbon bikes the the new process Litespeed has come up with to build the Icon would give me the stiffness of carbon and the plushness of Ti.

Thoughts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are looking to buy a stock frame, you can't beat the build quality of the Moots. The Litespeed just does not compare. If you are willling to invest the time and attention to go custom, talk to Carl Strong. He built me an incredible custom Ti frame with a build quality at least as good as the Moots.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ti bike

For the same, or even less, you can get a custom Ti frame that will fit your geometry and riding style. I called Kent Eriksen and he made a bike in a few weeks that fit perfectly. Did the same for a riding buddy also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.