Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· HannahG
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past 2 months or so I have been successfully commuting by bike to school and now to an acting workshop-on clipless pedals for the last month as it's my only road bike. Yesterday me and my commuting buddy were about to turn out onto the main road of her subdivision when she yelled "car" (very loudly)-I got really startled, and promptly fell over on my right. Other than my knee looking pretty gross, i was fine. The only damage to my bike was that the hood on the right side was knocked inward about 45 degrees. I was able to get it almost back into place-though it was still a little off. Fast forward to today when the same commuting buddy decided to zig-zag her way up this crazy steep hill to her house. she didn't warn me so I found myself suddenly right in front of her bike. I fell this time to my left, gouging out a tad of my pedal. Once again the hood on the right knocked in.

So pretty much my question is this: can I just use brute strength (my brother) to twist the shifter back into place, or is there something I should worry about? shifting and braking worked fine after both falls.Any advice is greatly appreciated!
thanks-
Hannah

· Registered
70 Posts
"Yesterday me and my commuting buddy were about to turn out onto the main road of her subdivision when she yelled "car" (very loudly)-I got really startled, and promptly fell over on my right. Fast forward to today when the same commuting buddy decided to zig-zag her way up this crazy steep hill to her house. she didn't warn me so I found myself suddenly right in front of her bike. I fell this time to my left, gouging out a tad of my pedal."

" is there something I should worry about?.Any advice is greatly appreciated!
thanks-"
Hannah[/QUOTE]

I would be worrying alot about your commuting buddy. My advice would be to find a new buddy before she really does you in...:D

· Seat's not level
19,395 Posts
sheldon said:
"Yesterday me and my commuting buddy were about to turn out onto the main road of her subdivision when she yelled "car" (very loudly)-I got really startled, and promptly fell over on my right. Fast forward to today when the same commuting buddy decided to zig-zag her way up this crazy steep hill to her house. she didn't warn me so I found myself suddenly right in front of her bike. I fell this time to my left, gouging out a tad of my pedal."

" is there something I should worry about?.Any advice is greatly appreciated!
thanks-"
Hannah
I would be worrying alot about your commuting buddy. My advice would be to find a new buddy before she really does you in...:D[/quote]+1 You need to work on your commuting buddy before she wipes you out - AGAIN ! I think I would keep my distance from her from now on.

I have a friend that I ride with all the time. I won't draft him at all. He rides a straight line, but will coast at anytime for no aparent reason and without warning. I follow off to the side, or back a ways. He on the otherhand will sit 3 inches off my rear wheel and be perfecly happy :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

As for the shifters, just push them back to where they should be. If they are a little loose, then just peel back the hoods and tighten them. If this doesn't make sense, then visit your LBS.

· Registered
484 Posts
Believe it or not, there are biking mannerism and courtesy when biking with other fellow cyclists regardless if it's a group ride or a commuting buddy in your case. The first incident may have been ok, but her riding zag-zaggy on the second is putting you in harms way.

Funny, your post reminds of my roomate back in college whom I used to ride to campus regularly. In short, three separate accidents and all three I took the pounding. The worst one was when I was riding behind him and couldn't see out front. He saw a car coming out of a driveway but didn't bother to slow down or warm me until he was about maybe 10 ft away. He slammed on his brakes and I crashed into him with my forehead hitting his back. I wasn't wearing a helmet and think I got a concussion. AFter couple incidents more, I decided to bike into campus myself. Plus, I think he brings all kinds of bad luck when he's on his two wheels.

As for your shifter, it should be ok to push it back into place. But if your shifting changes afterwards, you might want to bring it to a shop.

· HannahG
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a bunch for all of your responses, my brother was able to knock the shifter pretty much back into place
as for my friend- I told her that unless tomorrow goes without incident, I'm finding someone new:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,126 Posts
You've received good advice. Just talk to her about what you expect while riding together. Having seen you fall, most would become more conscious of their actions while riding. For this reason, I seldom attach myself to groups of riders. They don't know me or I them...can be dangerous. If like the pace, I'll hang back so that I have a safe distance to react.

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
more like commuting nemesis. flip up the hood and you should find a allen bolt that you can loosen to right the hood and retighten it. I had to do this myself, but it was my own fault both times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.