Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth the wait or not, I am tired of waiting for my De Rosa frameset to arrive, so Ive decided to cancel my order for the Avant because I had enough. I didnt realize how much of a pain it is to get a frameset from them. It was ordered back in October and promised several arrival dates, which has come and gone. I was promised by the US DeRosa distributer it was to get here by last Friday, but now the date has been pushed, again, further into March.

The shop owner has apologized profusely every time I've talked to him the last couple of months, and I do realize its not his fault. I've decided not to wait and looking into getting a another frame he has suggested. What do you people think about the Colnago CT2 HP? How light and stiff is it? I couldnt find the weight for this frame. Hopefully this frame is nearly as stiff as my S-Works E5. The frame is in stock in TX and the bike shop is giving me a good deal so if I choose to get it, it could get here in just days. Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
no longer made??

I've had trouble digging up info on this frame. It's no longer listed at the Trialtir or Colnago websites. Maestro lists it for $2183 with a street fork.

http://www.maestro-uk.com/colnago-components.asp

Cbike.com has the frame weight and fork weights.

http://www.cbike.com/ct2.htm

I guess it depends on how good a deal you're getting. For $2200 there are probably better frames out there. Colnago excels at carbon, not Ti.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
My impressions

While I have not ridden the CT2, a friend has one and loves it. I have ridden the Carrera Adone which is similar in that it has the carbon rear attached to the Ti front triangle. It was a tad bit on the heavy side (19 lbs), but I didn't care because it was a fantastic riding bike. Different geometry, but I think that a Ti front with the carbon rear is a great set up, comfortable and rock solid on climbs. Don't get too hung up on weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
C-40 said:
I've had trouble digging up info on this frame. It's no longer listed at the Trialtir or Colnago websites. Maestro lists it for $2183 with a street fork.

http://www.maestro-uk.com/colnago-components.asp

Cbike.com has the frame weight and fork weights.

http://www.cbike.com/ct2.htm

I guess it depends on how good a deal you're getting. For $2200 there are probably better frames out there. Colnago excels at carbon, not Ti.
Ernesto made his reputation through design and building first, and designing for manufacture later, but Colnago had its fans long before Cambiago saw any carbon fiber anything. I don't have a clue what frameset the poster might like best at 2200 bucks (I don't recall a price being mentioned), but I've got an older CT-1 and I like it a great deal. It's a great riding, great handling frameset (with a fair bit of cf on it, as the entire rear triangle, as well as the fork, is cf). As for weight-weenie factor: it's reasonably light and absolutely raceable, but it's not an ultralight. To the extent that the subjective impressions of strangers should matter at all, I've run into a couple of CT-2 riders who love their bikes and none who don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
go for it. I've had a CT-1 B-Stay for four seasons, great bike. They no longer make theCT1/ CT2 ( the only difference between CT1/CT2 is the CT2 has 1 1/8 steerer, CT1 is 1inch.). the colnago is 6/4 Ti, stiffer than 3/2.5. Wwon bike of the year a couple years ago. Actually designed by ernesto along with input from michele bartoli, the great classics champion of a few years ago. As far as Colnago not excelling at Ti, probably his most famous bike, the Eddy Merckx hour record bike, was made from....titanium.
 

·
keep rubber side down
Joined
·
624 Posts
Depends...

If you are looking for a deal... look on the net for a 2005 Opera Palladio.

My opinion: if you want a bike that will last pretty much for ever, do not get a bike with carbon CHAINSTAYS.... Seatstays are less of a drag in the long term. Yet Full titanium is for ever. I'm just not sure about carbon.

Chain slap, chain suck... chipped carbon = no good.

But if you dont plan to buy and use for a long time and intensively... Get whatever. CT2 is definitely a great bike, more of a laid back, relaxed, stable euro racing style bike compared to a steep and nervous (insert short wheel base bike name here)
 

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
I don't believe that's correct....

....that's Merckx's record bike was made from titanium. I believe it was steel with some titanium components made by Pino Moroni for Ernesto Colnago.


Fignon's Barber said:
go for it. I've had a CT-1 B-Stay for four seasons, great bike. They no longer make theCT1/ CT2 ( the only difference between CT1/CT2 is the CT2 has 1 1/8 steerer, CT1 is 1inch.). the colnago is 6/4 Ti, stiffer than 3/2.5. Wwon bike of the year a couple years ago. Actually designed by ernesto along with input from michele bartoli, the great classics champion of a few years ago. As far as Colnago not excelling at Ti, probably his most famous bike, the Eddy Merckx hour record bike, was made from....titanium.
 

·
Defender of Freedom...
Joined
·
611 Posts
That must mean full carbon is out the window as well...

tempeteOntheRoad said:
If you are looking for a deal... look on the net for a 2005 Opera Palladio.

My opinion: if you want a bike that will last pretty much for ever, do not get a bike with carbon CHAINSTAYS.... Seatstays are less of a drag in the long term. Yet Full titanium is for ever. I'm just not sure about carbon.

Chain slap, chain suck... chipped carbon = no good.

But if you dont plan to buy and use for a long time and intensively... Get whatever. CT2 is definitely a great bike, more of a laid back, relaxed, stable euro racing style bike compared to a steep and nervous (insert short wheel base bike name here)

Not sure if I agree. If you get that much chain slap, sounds like a chain that's too long. A full carbon rear is no different than a full carbon bike in terms of chain stay durabilty. That said I prefer the ride of Ti chainstays :)

JR
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top