Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I may have an opportunity to move to So Cal for a year to do some contract work in the Glendale area. No firm decision yet, but just wondering, where is a good area to live? Basically would be looking for somewhere very safe, clean, good access to riding, etc.
Would I be better off looking in the Thousand Oaks area, or better to go towards Marina Del Rey? Looks like all of those areas are a short drive to Glendale for work...
Thanks for any tips!

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
There are some very nice neighborhoods in Glendale and Burbank as well as Pasadena. Of course La Canada/Flintridge is great if you have the bucks. Montrose is good too.

In other words, no need to drive all the way in from Thousand Oaks or the Marina. Those commutes are way too long.

By the way there are great bike rides from the Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena area.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I lived in thousand oaks/newbury park for about 7 years. Nice area that's for sure. Close to mtn/road biking some open space, etc. If you like to go out to clubs don't move there. The night life is pretty lame/nonexistant. If you move there be prepared to see lots of trophy soccer moms driving white expeditions or excursions with fireman helmet stickers on the back window. If you are single and looking for night life I'd live as close to work as possible. If you're married T.O. would be nice. The drive from T.O. to glendale during working hours will not be pleasant (I'd say 1.5 hrs on a good day)

edit: I'd say 2 hours on a good day.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
can't comment other than to say it will not be as long as t.o. commute.

what about old town pasadena? anyone know if that's really $$ (relatively speaking, everything in L.A. is pretty $$). close to glendale kind of hip....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too concerned about price, as I've looked on roomates.com and see that it is very easy to find a room in a house or townhouse with a few young people for under 1k per month. I'm 32, not married. Don't need to party all the time, but like the idea of having some roommates and being in a social atmosphere. Thought it might be nice to live by the water, but I've never been there, so who knows....:)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
check out El Matador beach. A smaller really nice beach. North Malibu area. David Hassellhoff actually saved someones life there. Really. South end of Pt. Dume beach offer climbing (that rock/beach is in lots of commercials). Those are my 2 fave beaches. Sorry this isn't exactly helping your house search. If it was me I'd try to find a place close to work with some cool people. The traffic is fairly bad....but the drivers I feel are really good. They keep their distance and aren't always speeding up and slamming their brakes like other places....

·
Registered
114 Posts
As others have stated, neither Thousand Oaks not Marina del Rey are a short drive to Glendale during rush hour. Yuck!

The most important thing is to make sure that you live near a Zankou Chicken! :D

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
something tells me thats not just a beef bowl - the beef + chicken...I did like beef bowl. Can't go wrong with del taco either...didn't care for inn-n-out (gonna get cursed probably). And of course good Mexican food all over. I need to stop hanging out in so-cal forum it just gets me depressed....

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Ohm_S.Ohm said:
I second that!
Damn, I miss Zankou. I used to live near the one at Sepulveda and Burbank.

I don't know if you've heard this sad story, but the guy who started Zankou shot and killed his wife, his mother, and himself about two years ago. I don't know the details of why it happened, but things understandably seemed pretty grim around the Zankou by my house for a long time.

·
Where Are We Eating?
129 Posts
Live close to where you work because there's great riding everywhere and gas is $$. If I had to work in Glendale I'd live in Pasadena for the nightlife and the riding. It's pretty dead elsewhere until you get closer to Hollywood or the Westside. If you're a cool hipster type you'd want to check out Silver Lake and Los Feliz. Both are next to Glendale and have lots of nice watering holes. I live in Studio City which is smack dab in the center of LA and has both singletrack and awesome roads. The biggest problem living here is deciding which direction to ride. Too many choices. :)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
I live and ride in that area and...

il sogno said:
There are some very nice neighborhoods in Glendale and Burbank as well as Pasadena. Of course La Canada/Flintridge is great if you have the bucks. Montrose is good too.

In other words, no need to drive all the way in from Thousand Oaks or the Marina. Those commutes are way too long.

By the way there are great bike rides from the Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena area.
I'll second that.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
il sogno said:
Porto's cuban bakery and sandwiches on Brand Blvd!

Hey neighbor,

Thanks for the tip. What's the nearest major cross street? Have you been to Mario's Italian Deli on Broadway?

R

1 - 20 of 97 Posts