Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my haste to get all my crap ready for this week, I am left wondering what to do about a bike lock? I currently have a Mini U Lock, and a Combo Cable lock.

I am leaning towards taking the cable lock, am wondering if I should take with a cable lock with padlock?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I'd bring 'em both, but that's just me. If you can only bring one, the cable lock will be more versatile, but not quite secure enough. The mini-U will keep too much exposed.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
StageHand said:
I'd bring 'em both, but that's just me. If you can only bring one, the cable lock will be more versatile, but not quite secure enough. The mini-U will keep too much exposed.

Front and rear wheel have skewer locks. So im not too concerned about the wheels.

Sounds like the U lock is the way to go... damn, that thang is heavy!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Where you are touring would certainly bear on what lock I was taking. If I thought I would mostly be in sparsely populated areas where bike theft is not typical I might consider bringing only something to deter an opportunist and not pay the weight penalty for a solution to deter the thoughtful and determined bike theft.

Snowboard locks may be a good alternative if you fit this category.

These could be compromised with the simplist of tools, but will prevent the quick snatch and grab.

Scot

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Why lock?

BentChainring said:
So in my haste to get all my crap ready for this week, I am left wondering what to do about a bike lock? I currently have a Mini U Lock, and a Combo Cable lock.

I am leaning towards taking the cable lock, am wondering if I should take with a cable lock with padlock?

Any suggestions?
Why do you think you need a lock for touring? Are you going to be away from the bike a lot? It would depend a lot on where you'll be passing through, but you might re-think the need.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
When I am touring, we don't leave the bikes out of sight if we can help it. With that in mind, when we are in the restaurant eating with our bikes in sight, we use a gun cable lock. They are small and just enough that someone won't hop on the bike and take off.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you'd notice the weight of a mini U-lock even w/ all ur other stuff on there, you need to bring more stuff =-P. My vote would be for U-lock as I imagine you'd be pretty hosed if your only source of transportation gets stolen. But I guess that depends on where you're gonna be goin. Also, skewer locks?! Link?? Or is it that thing with the weird shaped bolt that you need the weird shaped wrench to open?

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be touring on the California Coast, with a few days in San Luis Obispo, a college town, with high bike theft. I am still leaning towards the U-Lock, which will probably end up buried in my bags for most of the trip. Although the cable lock does make it easier to lock the rig at campsights to odds and ends

I will also be touring alone, so there will be times I will have to lock up the bike without me around.

Skewer Locks:
http://www.rei.com/product/732406

·
Registered
394 Posts
BentChainring said:
I will be touring on the California Coast, with a few days in San Luis Obispo, a college town, with high bike theft. I am still leaning towards the U-Lock, which will probably end up buried in my bags for most of the trip. Although the cable lock does make it easier to lock the rig at campsights to odds and ends

I will also be touring alone, so there will be times I will have to lock up the bike without me around.
Then I'd say definitely the U-lock. I think it's worth the peace of mind.

Scott

·
Registered
638 Posts
This reminds me of a tour I did back in 1988.I brought along a heavy U lock and the first time I used it I lost the key. I had to end up calling a guy with a torch that could cut the lock open. Since that trip I haven't bothered to carry a lock. Of course I've only touring in very sparsely populated areas, small towns & such.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Why do you think you need a lock for touring? Are you going to be away from the bike a lot? It would depend a lot on where you'll be passing through, but you might re-think the need.

why not lock? I guess if you never shower or use a bathroom or never ever leave your bike unattended...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts