Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got a new bike and I'm sure I'm gonna have a ton of questions but... here's the first one: Is there any good way to lock up a bike (like to a bike rack or whatever outside) without scratching it? My other bike is an older, very scratched up mtb so I didn't care that much about scratching it on a bike rack. But this is a new, shiny road bike and I'd like to keep it that way as long as i can. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Take a screwdriver and gouge the paint....

...and then never worry about it again.
No, seriously. Depending on what kind of lock setup you have, you might be able to slip an old tube over most of it, which keeps the metal from scratching the paint. I used to do that with a chain in the pre-U-lock days. Alternately, tape the hard parts of the lock, or carry a few inches of pipe insulation in your bag or jersey pocket to slip on where appropriate.
Aren't most locks coated anyway? Mine are all old, so I dunno, but when I walk past them in the shop, they all seem to have some kind of rubber/plastic coating.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah,

my lock has a plastic/rubber coating on it, but the bike racks don't in most places. This is mostly what I'm worried about. Like the bike rubbing up against the rack or whatever cause it seems like that took quite a bit of paint off of the mountain bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the bike means anything to you, I wouldn't lock it up, period! I've had the misfortune of having had two bikes stolen from me, both "locked" up.

Get a decent "beater" bike that'll suit your purposes and that you wouldn't grieve losing. That's the bike you should lock up. And if it's a beater, who cares if it gets a scratch or two from the lock?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill Silverman said:
If the bike means anything to you, I wouldn't lock it up, period! I've had the misfortune of having had two bikes stolen from me, both "locked" up.

Get a decent "beater" bike that'll suit your purposes and that you wouldn't grieve losing. That's the bike you should lock up. And if it's a beater, who cares if it gets a scratch or two from the lock?
I got this one to replace the "beater" one though... well... not a beater I guess... but an older mtb... and for the most part, the only time I ride is when I'm gonna leave it somewhere (school/work/grocery store/etc)... eh v_v

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in the same boat MWPDX. I just went to walmart today and bought a 14 dollar lock that seems decent. Steel cable with a Kevlar coating and plastic covering. I havent tried it yet.
There are no bike racks out where I am. I will have to try and ghetto rig it up to a light pole or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.