Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered some wheelsets with formula track hubs and I'm going to need to space them out to126mm-- 3mm spacers on each size. I understand these go inbetween the locknuts and the cone nuts.

I'm going to need to order some cone wrenches. I already have 13,14,15,16 mm cone wrenches, but no 17mm ones. I read somewhere that the formula locknuts are 17mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, never having worked on cartridge bearing hubs before, is there anything special I should know? If I'm respacing them by adding the washers, will I need to readjust bearing preload? Or can I simply add the washers, and then retighten the locknuts (how tight?) without worrying too much about bearing adjustment?

On another note, this will be my first fixie! I understand it is not possible to use reverse brake levers on chopped and flopped bars, right? They can only go on 'real' bullhorns? :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
dslfoolish said:
I've ordered some wheelsets with formula track hubs and I'm going to need to space them out to126mm-- 3mm spacers on each size. I understand these go inbetween the locknuts and the cone nuts.

I'm going to need to order some cone wrenches. I already have 13,14,15,16 mm cone wrenches, but no 17mm ones. I read somewhere that the formula locknuts are 17mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, never having worked on cartridge bearing hubs before, is there anything special I should know? If I'm respacing them by adding the washers, will I need to readjust bearing preload? Or can I simply add the washers, and then retighten the locknuts (how tight?) without worrying too much about bearing adjustment?

On another note, this will be my first fixie! I understand it is not possible to use reverse brake levers on chopped and flopped bars, right? They can only go on 'real' bullhorns? :thumbsup:
I don't remember what size the lock nuts are but I can tell you it's very easy to respace Formula hubs...Once the outer nut is off, you throw some washers on and put the nut back on...No worries about readjusting bearing load...

There is no reason reverse levers won't work on chopped bars as long as the inside diameter of the bar is compatable with the levers..I guess if the bars have a very tight bend, there might not be enough room for the inside of the lever assembly but I've done this before and I didn't have any problems

Good luck and keep us updated

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
A word of caution. Our shop stocks several wheelsets from different suppliers, all with the sealed bearing Formula hubs. Most of them come with an axle length that would allow spacing up to 130mm. But one set has an axle that wouldn't go past a 120mm.

As to the spacers, Dave is spot on. No need to "re-torque" the "adjusting nut". I spaced a hub out to 128mm on my Fuso (not that unusual on frames made in the late '80's to early '90's when the change from 7 to 8 speed was happening) with two 4mm Wheels Manufacturing alloy spacers. But you can use inexpensive washers too.

·
hello
3,395 Posts
Yes, those large flanged Formula locknuts are 17mm. In fact, since I didn't have a cone wrench that large I used a standard open end wrench when I spaced my axle out to 130mm. There's enough space there for the standard wrench to slide in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.