Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding my Cannondale Roadwarrior and it begins to creak on the left side. By the the time I get home it is really creaking. It seems the crank loosened a bit. I tightened it up and it was quiet for two days. Now it's loosened and creaking again. Is a product like Locktite or other bolt thread locker recommended for a fastener like this crank bolt? Any other suggestions? I do a lot of wrenching on motorcycles but bicycle parts seem a lot more delicate and I'd like to not screw anything up.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Some details, please?

CalypsoArt said:
So I'm riding my Cannondale Roadwarrior and it begins to creak on the left side. By the the time I get home it is really creaking. It seems the crank loosened a bit. I tightened it up and it was quiet for two days. Now it's loosened and creaking again. Is a product like Locktite or other bolt thread locker recommended for a fastener like this crank bolt? Any other suggestions? I do a lot of wrenching on motorcycles but bicycle parts seem a lot more delicate and I'd like to not screw anything up.
What brand, model, year of crankset? Are you going to the torque specification? In most cases, greased threads torqued to spec. do not loosen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has a TruVativ Elita crankset. I did not use a torque spec, but went by feel only.

Only now did I notice the torque spec in tiny writing on the whatever that ring is called. I have to check if my torque wrench can accommodate the bicycle specs. What grease is recommended for that area? Is there some internet site that shows the breakdown of bike parts and the correct name for the individual components? It would help me to know what to call what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.