Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do we think about Radio Shack being omitted from the roster at the final monument of the season. Seems to me that they have not raced much in Europe (albeit they did take the team prize in the TdF) and their 'stars' have often had to ride as independents back in the US. Money problems perhaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
While RS doesn't have many (any?) classics riders, it does seem a little odd that they don't have a UCI invite as a pro tour team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
It is a little payback for JB and the crew for the protest during the Giro last year and not sending a team this year. The Vuelta did not invite them either. Outside of Lance, RS does not have anyone that will draw significant european viewers, add that to some apparent dislike for JB and RS ends up on the sidelines.
 

·
LA CHEVRE
Joined
·
2,475 Posts
I'm actually surprised to see RS adding names to the team for next year, yeah they're nobodies but still, I expected Radio Shack to 'retire'... But it wont change a thing for Lombardy if they are there or not IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
Horner, Jani, and Levi would've done well @ Lombardy, what a shame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
davidka said:
Horner, Jani, and Levi would've done well @ Lombardy, what a shame.
Horner and Janez are the victims here, once again. Janez placed second or third (definitely podium) in 2008 I believe, and Horner was top 10 at least once. Those two (Horner the 2010 winner of the Tour of the Basque Country and Janez the 2010 winner of the Dauphine), after having to sit out the Vuelta, would have added some much-needed, non-Italian animation to the race. Once again, close-mindedness and vindictiveness rules the roost in European pro cycling. I just can't wait to see CSF or BBox in mid-October instead. :mad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Horner and Janez are the victims here, once again. Janez placed second or third (definitely podium) in 2008 I believe, and Horner was top 10 at least once. Those two (Horner the 2010 winner of the Tour of the Basque Country and Janez the 2010 winner of the Dauphine), after having to sit out the Vuelta, would have added some much-needed, non-Italian animation to the race. Once again, close-mindedness and vindictiveness rules the roost in European pro cycling. I just can't wait to see CSF or BBox in mid-October instead. :mad2:
Maybe the victims chose the wrong team to sign with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well maybe the Shack should have elected to race more in Europe and not turn down the Giro. IMO what goes around comes around. As someone else posted, I am surprised to see the team take on new riders as I fully expected it to fold on LA's retirement.

As for Horner - a rider I admire - I have to say that after a career criticizing JB/LA's teams he did ultimately take the cash and join them, so to some extent he knew what he was getting into so can't be too disappointed to see the team miss out on so many good races.

On a related point, why does LL (and some others) have to ride a good proportion of their races as an independent. Strikes me as a team with limited ambitions and poor financing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Why should RCS invite RS at all. JB & LA have historically ignored the end of the season from the Champs Elysees party onwards.

As a team USPS, Discovery, Astana & RS all effectively were there just to make up the numbers. This lack of respect and commitment to the heritage of the sport is why they are not invited to the party. It is unfortunate that a couple of their riders who might be a little more motivated than the management will suffer as a result.

But the idea that Lombardia needs any foreign help to animate it is laughable. Having been there for all the last 10 editions, I can't think of any year that was notable for the Italians sitting back waiting for the French, Belgian, Spanish or Dutch riders to do something.

Lombardy is not a mickey mouse race in some cycling backwater. It is one of the oldest and most prestigious races on the whole calendar, with a rich history that will no doubt be reinforced this year despite RS's absence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
I agree with..

Ultimobici, they usually just cruise through the rest of the season with no desire to do anything.. They are just a tour team and while they won the team prize, what else have they really done this year? Won one other race and a stage in another race? Sorry guys, when you come and beat up on the domestic D3 teams, that really doesn't count.. That's like the high school varsity team going up against the 8th grade C team.. Seems like this is just a hobby for the RS leadership.. Sad for the riders that are trying to really have a career..
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Horner and Janez are the victims here, once again. Janez placed second or third (definitely podium) in 2008 I believe, and Horner was top 10 at least once. Those two (Horner the 2010 winner of the Tour of the Basque Country and Janez the 2010 winner of the Dauphine), after having to sit out the Vuelta, would have added some much-needed, non-Italian animation to the race. Once again, close-mindedness and vindictiveness rules the roost in European pro cycling. I just can't wait to see CSF or BBox in mid-October instead. :mad2:
Hey-- I like B-Box!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
One other factor, this race doesn't mean much to RS or most other ProTour level teams without a true threat to win. But for a lower level Italian team getting an invite may be a make or break thing for the team.

Besides, October is for cross racing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
Magni said:
Well maybe the Shack should have elected to race more in Europe and not turn down the Giro. QUOTE]

So, is BMC bad because they elected not to do the Vuelta? No. I get that people don't like JB and LA, but the decision to skip the Giro was for the obvious reason that the Giro is not a good prep for the Tour. While Basso didn't seem to have too many Tour ambitions, he and many others who partook in the Giro hopelessly cracked. Basso had to finish with the groupetto.

With RS being a new team, they simply don't have a big enough squad to handle the 3 tours. BMC realized they wouldn't be able to handle The Vuelta, but I don't see anyone complaining about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
den bakker said:
spade2you said:
how many riders are on a pro tour team?
How many riders vs. how many riders can they have available in the GTs and other races that happen at the same time? They may have numbers, but not enough strong riders for the specific purposes. Had BMC skipped the ToC, I think they could have done a lot better in the Giro, although Ballan being unable to race due to being on Lampre last year probably didn't help either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
spade2you said:
den bakker said:
How many riders vs. how many riders can they have available in the GTs and other races that happen at the same time? They may have numbers, but not enough strong riders for the specific purposes. Had BMC skipped the ToC, I think they could have done a lot better in the Giro, although Ballan being unable to race due to being on Lampre last year probably didn't help either.
Oh yes I forgot the formidable presence of Radio shack in the one day races. LOL
But you are right, overall it's a pretty tame team.

by the way, you do know BMC was a level below radio shack right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
den bakker said:
spade2you said:
Oh yes I forgot the formidable presence of Radio shack in the one day races. LOL
But you are right, overall it's a pretty tame team.

by the way, you do know BMC was a level below radio shack right?
I'm aware that BMC is continental pro and RS is UCI, although I still stand by my opinion that it undermines being UCI if continental pro teams get better invites. Speaking more towards the Vuelta and not the fall classics, RS was more deserving than some of the teams selected. Classics? Yeah, RS falls short in this department, but it's not a primary focus of theirs.
 

·
chamois creme addict
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
scarecrow said:
It is a little payback for JB and the crew for the protest during the Giro last year and not sending a team this year. The Vuelta did not invite them either. Outside of Lance, RS does not have anyone that will draw significant european viewers, add that to some apparent dislike for JB and RS ends up on the sidelines.
Bingo. The reason why Bruyneel announced they were focusing on the Tour of Cali and not riding the Giro is because they already knew they were not getting a Giro invitation. And this was a direct result of the bad-mouthing that Armstrong did during and after the Giro in 2009. Not getting an invite to Lombardy is also related, I would be willing to bet. The non-invite to the Vuelta was payback for the treatment of Contador in 2009, the Spanish press ate up the stories of him having to buy his own wheels and being left behind at the hotel.

Radioshack is going to be long gone after 2011. They are having a hard time recruiting riders because they can only offer 1 year deals. Hence the rumours of Taylor Phinney signing with BMC. Also the rumour mill has Jani Brajkovic being shopped around.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top