Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So things have been interesting in London for the past few weeks. There've been alot more peple on their bikes as a result. Here's my daily 8 mile ride from Hornsey to the City. It accounts for 70-80% of my yearly miles. I ride year round in all weather.

These first two pictures are leaving my neighbourhood.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holloway Road

approaching Highbury & Islington

Holloway Road is unusual for London - it's four lanes wide

the red road pavement is a bus lane - meant for buses, taxis and cyclists - I ride in the middle of the bus lane

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
two wheels good?

unless you're on a motorcycle or scooter

central London has congestion charging - £5 per day to drive in (not that there's anywhere to park when you get there) - there's been a huge increase in two wheeled transit - I hate scooter drivers

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barbican

- it's like Gotham you know

I like the curve punctuated by the high rise in the first picture

the next two are of ordinary traffic and lane splitting

last one is heaing in to the ring of steel towards the round about at the Museum of London

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
down to the City

second picture is an ASL - Advanced Start Line - transport planners want cyclists to pull to the front of queues of traffice to start off first - the next pictures have cycle lanes onthe left (in green) which are pretty useless and mostly ignored - in the distance for the last two pictures you can see the dome of St Paul's Cathedral - I often get a "London moment" when I see it every morning...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guildhall

a passing shot

next is me passing a line of buses - see the pedestrian poking out looking the wrong way - two seconds after I took this picture I almost smacked her down - pedestrians are the most dangerous part of cycling in heavy urban areas - they just don't look and always mouth off when you shout at them to pay attention before you hit them

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Man that is a scary looking commute.

With all that traffic and narrow roads it looks as bad as the mean streets of DC. At least here in DC there are lots of nice alternates for cyclists.

Take care.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Reminds me of my Portsmouth, VA commute. I had to constantly watch for cars and pedestrians and try to not get smacked by a bus the whole time. When I visited Grenada, Spain a few years ago, I was amazed by the scooters. I was driving a rental car and each time I would stop at a light, within seconds I was surrounded by dozens of lane splitting scooters that I would pass again before the next light. I wasn't racing them, they just didn't seem to go much faster than 40K/hr. The city streets stunk of moped and scooter exhaust. Here in paradise, I only have to deal with them on the MUT.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bishopsgate

is where I lock up every day now - just under / past the trees

notice that I take my axel with me when I take the front wheel off - anyone who steals a bike around here will ride it away

the fact that's the front wheel is off, without an axel and fixed will, I hope, deter cycle thieves

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
glad you enjoyed the report

MB1 said:
With all that traffic and narrow roads it looks as bad as the mean streets of DC. At least here in DC there are lots of nice alternates for cyclists.

Take care.
it was difficult for me to take pictures on a fixed in traffic!!

the speed of traffic is pretty slow which makes it seem less dangerous - and if you ride smart most pitfalls can be avoided

I have an alternative route on a disused railway which allows me to increase the length of the commute by a third and I can avoid the first 25% of the road route - but for the most part there are few alternatives to traffic - it's only through sheer numbers (critical mass) on roads that it gets safer for cyclists

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the scooters

bigbill said:
Reminds me of my Portsmouth, VA commute. I had to constantly watch for cars and pedestrians and try to not get smacked by a bus the whole time. When I visited Grenada, Spain a few years ago, I was amazed by the scooters. I was driving a rental car and each time I would stop at a light, within seconds I was surrounded by dozens of lane splitting scooters that I would pass again before the next light. I wasn't racing them, they just didn't seem to go much faster than 40K/hr. The city streets stunk of moped and scooter exhaust. Here in paradise, I only have to deal with them on the MUT.
in London aren't as dirty as the continental variety - they are becoming more plentiful though and in time I'm sure it'll get nasty - the real danger of scooters is that anyone can drive them - you don't need a license for most varieties - if you see a wreck during commute time in town - it's almost always a scooterist - and - usually a woman scooterist

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.