Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I raced 112 miles in a downpour on Sunday (IM Lake Placid). At the end of the day, my front derailleur wouldn't shift to the big ring and everything was covered with grit. I have a titanium frame with 2003 Campy Centaur parts and Proton wheels. I have always used Prolink on my chain and derailleurs, but on Monday my chain was a hazy yellow color. What are the "must do" tasks/replacements I should do to get my bike back to normal? Could my bottom bracket be toast? Thanks, Andy

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
That hazy yellow on your chain is probably rust. I'd thoroughly clean/lube it (or you could replace it if it's getting close to that time).

As for the BB, I'm not entirely familiar with Campy recommended maintenance, but I know that with my SRAM BB, I'd at least take the crank off, remove the dust caps from both sides, and inject some grease into the bearing races. If it looked as if the original grease was gritty, I'd remove the BB and clean everything before re-greasing and re-installing.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Standing water in the bottom bracket shell will destroy bottom brackets in a short time....Check it.
Hubs may be washed dry.....Check them
Cable housing may have water in them......Lube them.
Lube Ergo's.
Derailleurs are washed dry......Lube all pivot points.
Bike is full of grit........Do a good wash
Wheels are covered with crap......Wash well
Check tires for cuts, and wash well
Remove seatpost, and grease.
Wash everything twice.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
whew!

You be's a hard man, Andy. Since your post was so humble, I'll note for the benefit of others that you rode 112 miles in the downpour AFTER swimming 2.4 miles, and BEFORE running a marathon (also in the downpour). Well done. I think I found you in the results, well above the middle of the pack.

As for the bike. I'd remove both derailleurs, and clean thoroughly (remove the pulleys), dry and lube. I'd probably pull the brake and derailleur cables, clean, dry, inspect, lube, replace if questionable -- let the housings dry completely before re-installing the cables.

The bottom bracket is a sealed unit, and they keep out water pretty well. Spin the cranks with the chain removed. If it feels smooth, no worries. If it feels bad, it might be easiest and reasonably cheap to replace the whole thing. But I'm guessing it's okay.

I'd inspect the brake pads, and lube the caliper pivots. Inspect headset and hubs for smooth operation. Headset bearings could likely want an overhaul.

Clean pedals, lube retention mechanism, check bearings.

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the hints. I'll be busy wrenching for a while now. Mr. Grumpy, will hanging the bike upside down take care of water in the bb? I didn't see any drip out of the seatpost when I hung it up. Maybe I'll see something when I pull the seatpost to lube it. JCavilia, it was a pretty wet day. The rain kept things cool though. Lots of flats and crashes on the bike leg. I saw one Cervelo that looked like it broke into pieces! I ended up with a 12 hour 20 minute time. I was pleased for my first time at the distance. Andy

·
24,573 Posts
Easiest way to drain a BB is to remove the screw that holds on the plastic cable guide under the BB shell. If you don't get any water out, take the wheels off and tip the bike back and forth while listening for sloshing from inside the bike. If you can't hear anything, you probably are safe.
I know more than a few people who destroyed Campy bottom brackets by letting them sit in a half inch of water for a few weeks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Easiest way to drain a BB is to remove the screw that holds on the plastic cable guide under the BB shell. If you don't get any water out, take the wheels off and tip the bike back and forth while listening for sloshing from inside the bike.

Grumpy, You are the MAN!!! I got nothing when I turned the bike over, but when I took out the seatpost and undid the cable guide screw about a cup of water came out. Then I started rocking it back and forth and another half cup came out. I can only imagine what would have happened to the BB! I'm saving the cable housings for another day, but everything is shifting great right now. I peeked at the hubs and they were still showing clean factory grease and rolling smoothly, so I let them alone. BTW, is there an easy way to lube ergos without taking them apart? Thanks, Andy

·
24,573 Posts
"is there an easy way to lube ergos without taking them apart?"

Don't know, I never pulled my ergos apart. Campy experts might know.
I might be tempted to spray white aerosol lithium grease into the mech, but that might be a mistake.

Keep an eye on your bottom bracket for the next few weeks, for roughness, but it should be OK.
Anytime you ride in heavy rain, do that bottom bracket trick.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Ergo lube

AndyP. said:
BTW, is there an easy way to lube ergos without taking them apart?
You can peel back the lever hood from the bar clamp side and you will see a hole in the lever body. Shoot some oil down there while working the shifters back and forth. Also, you can see the thumb shifter ratchet wheel from underneath, and you can paste some grease or gear lube in there. Likewise, from underneath you can see the mechanism for the lever shifter up near the front and do likewise. Most likely, that is all you'll need to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.