Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short- I replaced the groupset on my Giant OCR C3. Turns out the brakes I need are "long reach" not a standard reach (should have looked into this, but had never heard of such a thing).

So I have a couple options:
1. put the old brakes back on (not really what I want to do)
2. Find some new long reach brakes and see the new set I just got

I have found a few different versions and wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts/experiences. I would really like a black pair (which does not seem easy to find), but may have to settle on silver.

·
Militant commuter
943 Posts
There are plenty of long-reach brakes on the market. The ones I've tried are various Tektro models (in silver, though -- not sure I've even seen them in black). They're all perfectly adequate, provided you swap the stock pads for something like Koolstop salmons.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
When you say "long reach", do you mean 47-57mm (standard short reach are 39-49mm) or the really "long reach" like the Tektro 556 which is 55-73mm.

The Tektro R538 is 47-57mm, is available in black and is a pretty good brake but even better with a pad changeout to Koolstops. Many suppliers stock them at about $60-70 retail for a pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.